REFLECTOR: CHTs and EGTs

Douglas Holub doug.holub at comcast.net
Sat Dec 9 10:01:54 CST 2006


A Rocky Mountain Instrument micro-Monitor came with my second-hand Velocity kit. The only reason I wouldn't use it instead of some of the other engine monitors is that it can only read one CHT and one EGT at a time.  I can install two rotary switches that select which cylinders are being measured. I was thinking I would figure out pretty quickly which cylinder runs the hottest, and then just keep the switch on that cylinder most of the time, and maybe look at the temperatures of the other cylinders every now and then. 

You can program limits for all of the measured parameters, and if the parameter exceeds the limit then an alarm goes off. I'm planning on using an ECI or Superior I/O 360. Will constantly monitoring only one cylinder for CHT and one cylinder for EGT be safe enough?  Are some cylinders hotter some times and other cylinders hotter at other times?  What could go wrong that would cause a cylinder to suddenly start getting hot? Maybe some baffling comes loose? If a cylinder quit firing it would get cooler fast, but I think I would notice that pretty quickly without looking at the temperature gauge.

I could design a circuit that detects the hottest CHT and EGT and sends those thermocouple signals to the engine monitor, but I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble.

Doug Holub
top door, FG, I see no light at the end of the tunnel
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061209/6607cb0b/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list