REFLECTOR: Trailing Edge Fences

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 30 14:52:49 CDT 2006


Hi Richard,

Impressive eye. Yes,I do have trailing edge fences
installed but unfortunately I don't have any
performance data as they have been on since day one. 

Would you settle for a picture (attached)?

I designed them based on the information provided on
the Reflector by Rodney Brim, Chris Martin, Al
Gietzen, and probably some others. 

Rodney first tried TE fences both inboard and outboard
of the ailerons (a la the Long/Verieze crowd) and saw
some impressive take off and climb performance gains.
However, this configuration made the ailerons very
stiff in flight. When he tried just using inboard
fences, the gains were still material and the aileron
forces went back to normal. 

The main reason I put them on was to maintain aileron
effectiveness at landing speed. Our swept wings have a
tendency to develop a span wise flow (inboard to
outboard) at low speed which is concentrated on the
trailing edge. I've also had gap tape on my ailerons
since day one to combat the effects of this as well.

So, what we have here is a serious lack of scientific
effort on my part... If you try using fences, let us
know the results!

Pat


--- RICHARD J VANDERSTEEN <rvandersteen at sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Hello Pat,  That is a nice picture but I have a
> question.  I think I see a trailing edge blade, is
> that correct?  If so would you share the dimensions
> and locations on the wing?  Would you have any info
> on
> before and after (speed, flying characteristics)?
> Richard Vandersteen XL-RG




__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 340XLTEFENCES.jpg
Type: image/pjpeg
Size: 157930 bytes
Desc: 1137362855-340XLTEFENCES.jpg
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060830/c37e6243/attachment-0001.bin 


More information about the Reflector mailing list