REFLECTOR: Anti-Ice
Dr. Golf
drgolf369 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 26 09:17:58 CDT 2006
Last fall I was flying to Vermont on an instrument
flight plan. It was 36 degrees at altitude. I was
cleared to descend into the clouds. My airspeed
suddenly drooped 40 knots. I was not sure what
happened so I canceled my approach and was cleared to
climb. It took forever and when I came out of the
clouds, I was covered with ice. I expected the ice to
fly off once in clear skies with the sun on the plane.
However, it took quite a while. Flying full throttle
to maintain altitude and doing only 120 knts, the oil
temps got up to 230. The stress increased until the
ice started to come off and the airspeed increased. I
reported the ice on a pirep.
I was told that it can happen up to 38 degrees F.
Caution is the buzz word and don't forget to put on
your pitot-static heat earlier in the season than you
think!
Joel
XLRG
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
More information about the Reflector
mailing list