REFLECTOR: Landing Gear Bolts

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Mon Aug 21 23:36:29 CDT 2006


Keith,

FWIW, the guy I bought my FG from told me he had a hard landing once 
while doing an instrument approach in hard IFR conditions. He says he 
dropped 40 feet to the runway in an instant. He didn't notice it right 
away but the next time he looked at the bolts he noticed one was broken 
and replaced it.

Keith Hallsten wrote:
>
> Al,
>
> I have seen several reports of BENT landing gear pivot bolts, but 
> never a report of BROKEN gear bolts. Apparently higher strength than 
> the original Grade 5 bolts is a good thing. I’m going out to the 
> hangar tomorrow morning to see whether the kit I took delivery of in 
> 1999 came with Gr 5 bolts or Gr 8 bolts there.
>
> Keith Hallsten
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- 
Dave Philipsen
STDFG
N171SP




More information about the Reflector mailing list