REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG
Dave Philipsen
velocity at davebiz.com
Mon Aug 21 17:47:28 CDT 2006
Hi Dave,
Even though I have absolutely no experience with the FGs, I'd have to
agree with you to. I don't necessarily think that it's a big safety
issue with the RGs. It just seems that a person would devote a lot of
time to upkeep and repair. Even if the gear could be made more reliable
everyone seems to agree that it's not a matter of *if* but *when* you'll
have a gear-up landing. Some of the guys on the other canard forums
even joke about being members of the "Nose Draggers Elite" or the "Nose
Draggers Club". If I had a retractable and *ever* had a gear-up
landing, I can almost guarantee that my wife would never fly with me again.
Anyway, I got interested when you started talking about the custom wheel
pants. I've got a STD FG and the wheel pants are getting a little beat
up. I am not the builder nor do I have much experience with composites
and building. But, I was thinking it might be a nice starter project to
build a new set of pants. Is the design of your pants available from
the designer? Do you have a picture of them?
Dave Dent wrote:
> This is only my opinion, but if I was to do it all over I would go the fixed
> gear with a good set of the best wheel pants for low drag and cooling for
> the brakes you can get. The wheel pants design can give you speed and
> cooling for brakes if done right.
> I would also go with carbon lay-ups on the gear for added strength. I
> installed the carbon braded carbon sleeve on mine. It cost me another $250
> in materials but I have more confidence in them now. Also use the best bolts
> you can buy in the mounting of the gear. At least grade eight bolts. For
> those that haven't changed out the bolts, do it now. To me this should be a
> mandatory thing to do.
>
> I did this on my Long EZ and Cozy and got both. The Cozy was seeing 185kts
> indicated at 4500 ft. Just get the drag down. Some times this out-weighs
> the retractable.
>
> By the way my wheel pants were designed by Cory Bird. He was the designer
> and builder of the grand champion winner at OSH. 2004 You may have seen it.
> He calls it Symmetry N241ST. When ever it shows up at a fly-in and if it's
> going to be judged; all the others wanting to be judged just as well go
> home. I rebuilt the engine on it while he was building the plane.
>
> The very fact of the complexity of the RG is not worth it. Yes it looks
> cool like I said but not worth the problems, especially with the Velo XL/RG.
> As well the RG will bring more money when you go to sell it but if not
> selling, it don't matter. I have to say this and my it may make some people
> upset but the Velocity gear has a long way to go to make it not a concern
> for kit builders. It can make or brake a good aircraft, even if it's one of
> the best flying machines in the industry, and I think it is.
> Dave
> ----- Original Message -----
>
--
Dave Philipsen
STDFG
N171SP
More information about the Reflector
mailing list