REFLECTOR: Runway length

Fred Marconi fmarconi at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 6 14:36:08 CDT 2006


Dear Terry:

A great deal depends on the weight you are carrying.  Yesterday I landed
with 75 gallons of fuel and three people on board with the Matco breaks.  I
touched down a few feet before the threash hold line and almost at stall
speed and outside temperatures of 90 degrees and 90 degree humidity, I kept
the nose up as I rolled on the runway.  I used 2000 feet of runway.
Takeoff would have taken also around that much.

Now If you mess up by the slightest your are in deep caca.  I would suggest
at least 3000 feet of runway asfalt.

Fred


----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry Miles" <terrence_miles at hotmail.com>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 7:24 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Runway length


> Hi,
>
> Here's a general question for those flying.  I am looking at a couple of
> airpark options.  More than once I have found a nice house but rejected
> it for runway surface or runway length.  On the assumption that I can
> takeoff and land with the skill of an average pilot could I ask those
> flying (esp the XL) what number should I use for min runway length, and
> if they thought turf was OK.  This is be day VFR only.  No tower, no
> lights, no fuel or mx on the field.
>
> Thanks for the thoughts and advice.
>
> Terry
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>




More information about the Reflector mailing list