REFLECTOR: Vne for V

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Aug 3 00:19:28 CDT 2006


Scott, I've thot about what I would do if I got into a flutter situation (I 
probably read this somewhere), but I don't know if it is correct.  I believe 
flutter is undamped resonance (rapid oscillation like shimmy) of a control 
surface (airleron, rudder, elevator) which can very rapidly lead to failure 
of the control part, usually followed by an accident. I know that balancing 
the control part helps prevent flutter, but not always. At the first onset 
of flutter, I think you're suppose to slow down ASAP by loading the control 
surfaces (pull up, turn, throttle back) to stop the flutter, but I'm not 
sure.

The other thing that concerns me when at (or above) indicated Vne is the 
loadings on the plane, especially if you encounter turbulence. The IAS is a 
measure of the air pressure on the airplane which is trying to rip the wings 
off, so by increasing it, you're testing the strength of those bonds.

Please be careful when doing this testing.

Chuck H


Scott wrote:
> I had a self induced flutter problem a couple of year ago.
>
> Once I corrected it( or at least thought I had)  I tested my plane to
> 210 KIAS. I figured I should test to 10 knots above the posted limit for
> a safety buffer. It was solid as rock, whacking the stick  left and
> right, forward and back, jabbing the rudders.  No vibration.  Way cool!!
>
> I think I remember Scott B. saying and I may be wrong,  that the
> Velocity had been tested to a Vne of 200 KIAS.  Which begs the question
> of what is its theoretical design Vne.
>
> Once I'm back in the air I plan on testing mine to 240 KIAS. 5 knots at
> a time.
>




More information about the Reflector mailing list