REFLECTOR: Retract speed increase

Richard Riley richard at riley.net
Thu Apr 27 18:54:36 CDT 2006


At 02:21 PM 4/27/2006, you wrote:

>As we all know induced drag is directly related to airspeed.
>
>I guess you meant 'Parasitic drag'.  Induced drag is more a function 
>of weight (lift). At zero AOA there is zero induced drag; everything 
>else is parasitic drag.

And parasitic drag is related to the cube of the airspeed.  But 
you're right, apples to apples is going to be hard if not 
impossible.  I specified small fuselage, large wing, 180 hp because 
my impression (and it's only an impression) is that there might be 
enough of that configuration, fixed gear and retract, to get a 
comparison.  I haven't ever seen a fixed gear XL, for example.  


-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.5.0/325 - Release Date: 4/26/2006




More information about the Reflector mailing list