REFLECTOR: Grand Rapids EFIS
Dave Dent
davedent at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 12:05:56 CDT 2005
Terry I have installed two of these systems now and in both cases I have
installed the magnetometer in the right strake.
The best has been as far out as you can put it. I built a small __----__
platform and leveled it as far fwd as I could in the end of the strake.
Then put a couple of SS nut plates in it to hold the unit to it. The unit
can be off a couple of degrees and it will align its self during calibration
but try you best to align it as straight as you can. I used a small laser
and then aligned it with the arrow on the AHRS that is mounted on the
canard.
I got the AHRS aligned with a level and eye balled as straight as I could.
I leveled the AHRS with the water line of the aircraft. I just had some
small one inch angles and glassed them to the top of the canard at the
right spacing for the holes in the AHRS.
I ran the wires from the magnetometer to the AHRS away from any coax cables,
as best I could. I went down the middle of the keel, on the Velo. On the
other plane (Cozy) I had to run them near the coax cables but separated. I
found this best. Do not tie them together. The object is to keep the
magnetometer at least nine inches away from any steel moving parts. I have
put these units right on carbon fiber and they never gave me any problems.
Even the early units that came out, back in 1993. You can buy these units
now for less then ten bucks and mount them most anywhere. They are all on a
small chip and a board.
I may have some pictures of how I did this some where and can send them to
you if you like. If you have anymore questions about the GRT units I will
be glad to help you. Mine have been working great with Zero problems. The
software updates are as simple as plugging in a USB memory smart stick. I
have found a remote cable set up so you can even have the USB remote from
the back of the EFIS so you can plug in your memory stick at the face of you
panel. I will be doing this for both my JPI and the EFIS for recording and
updating. I did this on the Cozy.
On the Velo I mounted the EIS remote on the canard and have it slaved to the
EFIS. I don't like the looks of it. I have a direct reading oil pressure
and tach and fuel press gauges so I don't need the other showing. But if
you do want to have the EIS on the panel I have a source for a real nice
face plate to go on it. It cost $100 bucks and it dresses it up a lot. I
just don't need it.
Dave
N32XL
----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry Miles" <terrence_miles at hotmail.com>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:40 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Grand Rapids EFIS
>
> Hi Y'all,
>
> I am in the final plans point on installing a Grand Rapids EFIS. It
> will be a single AHRS mounted on canard, dual screen in front of the
> pilot...side by side. I plan to mount the EIS on the radio stack to
> (hopefully) minimize the times I have to split the PFD or Map displays
> to deal w/ engine or fuel issues.
>
> Here's my question: Where to mount the magnetometer. Ya know, it has
> the ususal mounting guidelines: away from ferrous, moving parts,
> magnetic energy fields. I have narrowed it to outboard on the strake,
> (wings have to come off to get it back out again)or in the cabin on the
> sidewall storage area which is way more accessible but subject to being
> attacked by a carelessly stowed lap top or what have you. It must be
> orientated in the direction of flight. 5.25 long, 2.75 wide, 1.125
> high. Maybe the upper aft cabin ceiling?
>
> Anybody w/ experience on this? Can I bury this baby in the wing and not
> have to worry about it?
>
> Terry
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list