REFLECTOR: NO DOORS

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Sep 3 22:03:01 CDT 2005


How are you sealing out the wind and noise, sans main gear doors?

Mine makes a roar when I let the gear down.  Not to mention the 
accompanying breeze from the open main wheel wells.


Scott

Tom Martino wrote:

> In my flight testing ... I have found absolutely no significant 
> difference in speeds with my main gear doors on or off.  They may look 
> nice while flying (but who the hell sees them?) ... and we might be 
> sold on the idea that we need to be cleaner to increase speed ... but 
> it simply did not happen with me!  I have hard and fast testing to 
> prove it.  The most difference I've seen is one knot!  I'd rather have 
> higher gear extension speeds that an extra knot!
>  
> So I have another CRAZY idea.  Please hear me out before sending the 
> mental health authorities to my rescue.
>  
> My nose gear doors have been an absolute pain in the ass.  I have 
> converted to the "mechanical door closer" with much success ... but 
> they are still a potential problem area -- especially with "free 
> falling" the gear in a hydraulic dump situation.  Without going into 
> much detail ... spring tension and door "arms" have to be in perfect 
> harmony for the system to consistently work well -- no matter what 
> door closing system you use.
>  
> So my radical thought it this:  In the ultimate quest to keep things 
> simple ... why not do away with nose doors completely?  Mold some 
> farings in front ("V" shape) and along the sides (fins) of the nose 
> gear opening to direct air flow around the opening (like some pick up 
> trucks are now doing to cut down drag in pickup beds, and what some 
> "funny cars" do in order to have unusual body styles, yet be aerodynamic).
>  
> You could also place a rubberized plastic "slotted" cover just inside 
> the opening that the gear could easily pass through. 
>  
> Please think it through, a buddy of mine who has computer simulations 
> of drag coefficients ran a mockup and believes you could cut down 90% 
> of the drag with this configuration.
>  
> OK, call me nuts ... but please give me other feedback as well!   
>  
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list