REFLECTOR: NO DOORS

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 18:27:20 CDT 2005


It is not overly surprising given the size and forward position on the
aero plane form of the nose gear well.  I am not expert, but I would
look also at fuel flow (aka "thrust required"), or cabin noise level
while in arrival/departure speeds/body angles.  Likely there is a
something gained/lost in that regime.  But I'm quick to add that likely
it's never going to add up to $ and annoyance if your nose doors are
more headache than the aesthetics of a smooth underbelly to whomever can
see up that far!   I'd go for it Tom.  
Terry
 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 6:13 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: NO DOORS



Subject: REFLECTOR: NO DOORS

 

In my flight testing ... I have found absolutely no significant
difference in speeds with my main gear doors on or off.  They may look
nice while flying (but who the hell sees them?) ... and we might be sold
on the idea that we need to be cleaner to increase speed ... but it
simply did not happen with me!  I have hard and fast testing to prove
it.  The most difference I've seen is one knot!  I'd rather have higher
gear extension speeds that an extra knot!

 

This is consistent with what I have heard from two others; and I think
also from Duane.

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050903/bd02ee66/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list