REFLECTOR: Mag timing

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sat Oct 29 17:23:53 CDT 2005


Okay, I'm timing my mag that has an impulse coupling.

I don't have a buzz box, but I do have a cheap $20 handheld function 
generator, and a not so cheap voltmeter.

I connected the function generator to the P-lead and ground, and my 
voltmeter to the same place.

I set the voltmeter to read AC volts and get about 300 mV when the 
contacts are open.

I want to time my mag for 28* BTDC.  If I spin the motor around, the 
impulse coupler releases a couple degrees ATDC, and then I see my 300mV 
on the meter.  This is NOT what I want to time to, right?  So what I do 
is turn past where the impulse fires, then go backwards.  Only when I go 
backwards to 28* BTDC do I see the expected behavior where I can see the 
points open and close with the voltmeter.

Have I got this right?


More information about the Reflector mailing list