REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings

larry larry at grrok.com
Sat Nov 19 15:34:18 CST 2005


I have a fast build kit.  Wheels were balanced, mains aligned with laser 
level, and I maintain 15-20 ft-lb on the nose gear.  No shimmy.



At 12:04 PM 11/19/2005, you wrote:
>Just curious, and haven't seen reference to it....are these shimmy/gearleg 
>vibrations limited to "scratch-built" kits, or are the fast-build kits 
>similarly afflicted? (Hoping that fix that Duane was mentioned considering 
>gets included in my fast-build kit due in Jan).
>
>Bob
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Sent: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 10:24:00 -0800
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Shimmy and Nose Gear Pivot Bushings
>
>Alex Balic wrote:
> > There is a viscous coupling that I had to spec years back for a machine
> > design project- kind of like a tiny torque converter filled with oil- I
> > have no idea if there is one available that could/would fit the nose
> > gear, but basically, it allows relatively slow turning of the shaft, but
> > resists rapid turning/oscillation ( shimmy) kind of the same function
> > that a shock absorber has on the suspension of your car- will see what I
> > can locate on it and report back........
> > > Alex
> >
>How about a magnetic particle clutch?
><http://www.sdp-si.com/D790/HTML2/D790C13026_2.html>http://www.sdp-si.com/D790/HTML2/D790C13026_2.html 
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, v! isit 
><http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
>
>
>Visit the gallery! <http://www.tvbf.org/gallery>www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: <http://www.tvbf.org/pipermail>www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: 
><http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list