REFLECTOR: Runway length

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Wed May 25 21:57:58 CDT 2005


It's interesting that a while ago there was a thread
going from guys with poor low speed handling
characteristics (mostly XL's) who were compensating w/
high approach speeds (85KIAS to 90KIAS range)- now
we're hearing from guys that are close to canard stall
speed (65KIAS - 70KIAS range) on approach and/or
landing. 20 Knots is a pretty impressive spread!

I'm at 85KIAS over the numbers w/ and XL going into
3,200' using the standard Matco's.

Pat

--- John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com> wrote:

> I think there is a big difference in stall
> characteristics between the
> XL and STD Velocities, or maybe it's a variation due
> to individual
> building.  Either way, my SRG is light in front. 
> With 2 up front (350
> lbs) and 20 gal fuel, I can stall (a mild
> oscillation) at 70 kn on short
> final and the stall will go away when I'm in ground
> effect and I can
> land without the nose hitting hard.  An extra 10 kn
> makes a big
> difference (psychologically) when you're trying to
> land on a short
> runway.  I recommend doing a slow speed stall to see
> how strong the
> bucking is.  Know how to avoid deep stalls as
> previously discussed.  If
> the bucking is extremely gentle, you can probably
> expect the same when
> landing and not need a lot of extra speed.  Of
> course the first attempt
> is best on a 5000' runway.
> 
> John

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


More information about the Reflector mailing list