REFLECTOR: Runway length

Brett Ferrell bferrell at 123mail.net
Tue May 24 12:44:17 CDT 2005


You might want to consider installing the vortex generators also, it will lower
your takeoff and landing speeds (and top end, too!) if you plan to regularly
land on a short field.  I'm not flying yet, but I bought mine from CCI.  I
think the factory sells them as well, but CCI's are UV light resistant out of
the box.
http://www.mywebco.com/cci/

Brett

Quoting John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>:

> I think there is a big difference in stall characteristics between the
> XL and STD Velocities, or maybe it's a variation due to individual
> building.  Either way, my SRG is light in front.  With 2 up front (350
> lbs) and 20 gal fuel, I can stall (a mild oscillation) at 70 kn on short
> final and the stall will go away when I'm in ground effect and I can
> land without the nose hitting hard.  An extra 10 kn makes a big
> difference (psychologically) when you're trying to land on a short
> runway.  I recommend doing a slow speed stall to see how strong the
> bucking is.  Know how to avoid deep stalls as previously discussed.  If
> the bucking is extremely gentle, you can probably expect the same when
> landing and not need a lot of extra speed.  Of course the first attempt
> is best on a 5000' runway.
>
> John
>
> Ron Brown wrote:
>
> >   One hint/word of caution.  Don't get TOO SLOW.  I have been working
> > on shortening my landings - I had three in a row that came down too
> > hard - the last one was about two pitch bucks on final - my nose wheel
> > hit so hard that it pinched the tire and caused a blister.  You'll
> > want to keep at least 5 or even 10 knots above canard stall, fly down
> > to the numbers and close to the runway then pull the power.  I had
> > forgotten what Nathan had taught me about 150 landings ago!!!
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list