REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strain; a.k.a., aerodynamic trim

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:50:22 CDT 2005


 Pat,
On the util channel inspection plates, he thinks you'd be OK.  Cut very
slowly!! Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Pat Shea
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 9:59 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strain; a.k.a., aerodynamic trim


Al,

The side brackets come pre-drawn on a thin piece of
fiberglass stock from factory. The negative angle of
attack angle is determined by the shape of the side
brackets and is not in the manual. I'd guess it's
about -15* from the elevator cord.

The sparrow stainer is always trying to pull the
elevator trailing edge down, so it only works as an
aerodynamic trim at lower air speeds. At cruise speeds
it works against you (well, actually the pitch trim
spring) since you actually need to force the elevator
trailing edge up to maintain level flight in cruise.
By increasing the force required, the strainer ends up
further loading the pitch trim spring making the
control stick less pitch sensitive at cruise speeds.  


Pat

--- Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net> wrote:

> I'm sure this has come up before, but I didn't take
> note because I assumed
> it was covered in the manual.  All I can find in the
> manual is width of the
> airfoil, position on the canard.  Where is the
> template for the side
> brackets, and where does it say at what angle the
> little airfoil is to the
> elevator chord???
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks for help,
> 
>  
> 
> Al  (frustrated by all the little details I left
> until later)



		
____________________________________________________ 
Yahoo! Sports 
Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football 
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list