REFLECTOR: Water in the ducts & firewall integrity
Keith Hallsten
KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Wed Jul 6 20:31:25 CDT 2005
The standard firewall penetration for light aircraft involves a SS fitting
and firesleeve. See
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Firewall_Penetration/firewall.html
Kits are available from http://www.epm-avcorp.com/tubeseal.html
However, it's hard to install these right at the edge of the firewall and
get a gas-tight seal. We would probably be better off if the ducts ended
just short of the firewall, and the firewall penetrations were done
separately.
Keith Hallsten
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:14 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Water in the ducts & firewall integrity
The problem I see with using RTV to seal the duct opening in the
firewall as some have suggested is you have a huge mess to contend with
if you need to access the duct. Which I have on occasion.
Theres got to be a better way? Thats clean, neat, and fluid resistant.
Scott
Keith Hallsten wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>I installed the fiberfrax and SS sheet on the firewall today, and I intend
>to seal all around the perimeter of the SS with RTV (or something similar)
>to try to keep all liquids from contaminating the fiberfrax.
>
>I'm not a big fan of the duct arrangement in the Velocity, both from the
>wash water/rainwater/fuel leak point of view as well as the serious
>compromise to the integrity of the firewall. I think I'll put in some
small
>drains, but I'll also make a serious attempt to seal up the ducts at the
>firewall, around the tubes and wire bundles. It remains to be seen how
much
>success I'll have with that effort!
>
>Keith Hallsten, XLFG
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Jeffrey Clough
>Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 12:50 AM
>To: reflector at awpi.com
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Water in the ducts....
>
>OK...I have read all the posts about water in the ducts.....There is a
>BIG question I have: Perhaps y'all read my posts about filling my tanks
>with green water and finding leaks all through my floor boards.......if
>water collects in your ducts it could /*as easily */collect in the foam
>of *YOUR* floor.......WHAT happens when it FREEZES? Delamination? I
>would expect so.....
> I put heat lamps on my floor boards for a WEEK and tonight drilled
>test holes and found WATER.(I finally found the source of my leak was a
>vent line I had to put in to the right tank as a retrofit for the newer
>sump tank and vent system...).....I finally drilled a HUNDRED holes
>through the fuselage to let water out and it WAS coming out...of a LOT
>of the holes...now I plan on letting the lights shine for some time
>before sealing all of the holes AND putting holes in the ducts where I
>can....I think it would be a GREAT idea to paint the area under your
>ducts (before assembly) AND put drains in SEVERAL spots BEFORE glassing
>the ducts in!!!! Does this make anyone else sweat a little? J
>Clough 173 RG clamshell
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list