REFLECTOR: Painting with Awlgrip

Jim Sower canarder at frontiernet.net
Mon Jul 4 12:56:08 CDT 2005


<... used some Aircraft Remover to clean the spray head.  Worked great - 
even cleaned the paint that had been building around the "fan" air 
nozzles ...>
What exactly is this stuff, where do you get it and what does it cost?  
I didn't think there was much of anything better than MEK.  I'll be 
doing some painting in the not to distant future and I'll need all the 
cleaning help I can get.

Thanks ... Jim  S.

PS  I looked at those Mohawk respirators (hoods).  Said hoses (and 
presumably pumps) were available separately but I couldn't find them.  
Anyone got the menu chain for me?


Ron Brown wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Maybe it's not Orange Peel, but it sure is lumpy!  My HF HVLP gun had 
> several of the tiny holes stopped up.  I cleaned them with MEK and a 
> small piece of wire.  That helped but the droplets were still pretty 
> large - instead of the desired fine mist.  Yesterday, I used some 
> Aircraft Remover to clean the spray head.  Worked great - even cleaned 
> the paint that had been building around the "fan" air nozzles.  Now I 
> have a nice mist again. I have found out that just cleaning the 
> nozzles with MEK or acetone is not enough.  Awlgrip as well as the 545 
> primer will dry on the spray head during a paint session and just will 
> not clean up with thinner.  The Aircraft Remover will clean the build 
> up easily!!!
>
> Here's a good web page re adjusting HVLP guns. 
> http://www.autobodystore.com/ms6.htm
>
> I am ordering some of the T0005 and will let you know if that improves 
> the flow out.
>
> Ronnie
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:37 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Painting with Awlgrip
>
>
>> Ron,
>>
>> Orange peel is not caused by a sputtering gun...
>>
>> Did you get some T0005 reducer to slow down the flash off time?
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> Ron Brown wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bob,
>>>
>>> Great info about the recoating.  Sure enough, the underside of my 
>>> canard came out with lots of orange peel due to the paint gun nozzle 
>>> sputtering from not being clean.
>>>
>>> I went to the parts store and got a can of Airplane Remover - paint 
>>> stripper and soaked the air head/nozzle for 10 minutes.  Then rinsed 
>>> it off with water and dried with air.  Just like new again.
>>>
>>> I will scuff the canard and reshoot it.  Glad to hear that I don't 
>>> have to take all the paint off - just scuff and shoot another coat.
>>>
>>> Did you get to shoot your fuselage?
>>>
>>> Tuesday is supposed to be a lower humidity day so I'll be shooting 
>>> the bottom of the left wing - first big area so I'm looking forward 
>>> to seeing if I am making any progress learning to shoot the Awlgrip.
>>>
>>> Ronnie
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Jackson" <bobj at computer.org>
>>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 10:09 PM
>>> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Painting with Awlgrip
>>>
>>>
>>>> Scott -- can you get us a part # for that AWLgrip "Anti-orange peel"
>>>> additive you mentioned?
>>>>
>>>> Ronnie -- we use 320 and 400 grit Mirka Gold pads on a 5" random 
>>>> orbital
>>>> sander to take out the orange peel bumps and runs.  We also tried 
>>>> shaving
>>>> off the runs once and then painting over just the shaved runs with 
>>>> a small
>>>> detail paint brush, but it's hard to do without also scratching the
>>>> surrounding area and you can still see where the run has been 
>>>> painted over.
>>>>
>>>> We use 3M Softback Sanding Sponges (about 4x5 inches) for dulling the
>>>> AWLgrip in areas not sanded as above before the  final coats.  The 
>>>> 'Fine'
>>>> grade foam is equivalent to 320-400 grit, and the 'Superfine' is 
>>>> equivalent
>>>> to 500-600 grit paper.  Once we start painting with the AWLgrip, we 
>>>> rarely
>>>> use anything coarser than 320.
>>>>
>>>> Whenever the spray gun starts sputtering you know you're in trouble 
>>>> and that
>>>> you're going to be doing to repair sanding later!  It teaches you the
>>>> importance of really getting your gun clean after each paint 
>>>> session. We've
>>>> been using Klean Strip brand "Naked Gun" Spray Gun Cleaner (GSG-14) 
>>>> which
>>>> comes in a square red can and really does a great job of cleaning 
>>>> spray
>>>> guns.  You still have to do some scrubbing with a brush, but this 
>>>> stuff will
>>>> even loosen old paint dried in the gun after a while!  It can be 
>>>> washed out
>>>> with water, but I prefer to just whip it out and then before you 
>>>> store your
>>>> gun away, run a little reducer (or T008 cleaner) through it to get 
>>>> out any
>>>> remaining water.
>>>>
>>>> Bob
>>>>
>>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list