REFLECTOR: High Temps

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Wed Jan 12 11:47:56 CST 2005


Sorry to stray off topic ... but ... I noticed the post by Gary Ciampa.
This is an unusual name ... so it begs the question ... are you the Gary
Ciampa I went to school with in Catskill?

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronnie Brown [mailto:romott at adelphia.net] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 10:10 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: High Temps

Welcome Aboard!!!

Have you checked your injectors?  You could have a plugged or defective
injector on number 4.

Ronnie Brown
Cornelius, NC


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Gary Ciampa" <Gary.Ciampa at sas.com>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 10:29 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: High Temps


> NOTE: First Time Post,Happy to be Here! <G>
>
> Jim,
>
> I'm flying a 173 FG, IO-360-C1D6 and have *recently* experienced the
same
high temperatures as you observe on Number 4. Running above 75% power
and/or
any attempt to lean, shoots the number 4 cylinder up to 450F pretty
quickly.
A short bit of history, not to bore anyone but to provide a bit of
context.
>
> I purchased the airplane in May of 2004 and had need to replace the
exhaust stack. The original configuration was updraft cooling, rear exit
exhaust, cylinder wraps around each cylinder head/barrel, fore and aft
with
a reverse scoop in the top cowling above Number 4, I also have two VG's
in
front of the NACA scoop on the right side only. In reviewing the logs
and in
discussions with the former owner, cooling number 4 has always been
watched
closely.
>
> In replacing the exhaust stack I made the decision to switch to the
forward facing exhaust (at this point, I'm not sure if this was the
correct
decision, I'll know when the cowling work and temperature problems are
corrected). In any case, with the new exhaust in place the temps on
Number 4
are high, once again.
>
> The changes to the cowling included cutting holes near the NACA scoops
for
the forward exhaust exit, cutting out the fiberglass shrouds for rear
exit
exhaust and six layers of BID layed in to cover the holes for the old
exhaust scheme. Also, fabricated a scoop in the cowling under the
exhaust
for Number 1, as this bend in the exhaust pipe extends below the cowling
about three-fourths of an inch.
>
> Our current *theory* on how to correct the temperatures on number 4
include:
>
> 1. Remove the inner cylinder baffles that wrap between Number 2 and
Number
4, with a stock Lycoming Intercylinder Baffle. This will allow more air
to
flow up through the cylinder heads (I will note that other posts seem to
indicate no problems with having these baffles between number 2/4.)
>
> 2. Experiment with deflectors along the inside bottom of the lower
cowling, perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, in the vicinity of
Number
2. The theory being that we can buffer the cooling air in front of
Number 2,
creating additional pressure so that air will be forced through Number
4.
>
> NOTE: Number 1 and 2 are running cold. Number 3 is within limits(I
suspect
that fact that Number 3 temperatures are acceptable may be a result of
the
scoop under Number 1 forcing more air up through Number 3)
>
> 3. Finally: replace updraft with downdraft cooling (least attractive
alternative, but recommended by our friends at Velocity).
>
> Of course, the information above is subject to the vagaries of the
author
and may not be reliable, time will tell.
>
> Warm regards,
>
> Gary
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jim & Sharon Beck" <jsbeck at charter.net>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 10:28 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: High temps
>
>
>
>    I have a 173 RG that was completed in 2001 and then not flown until
recently and since I did not build it my questions may seem simple to
you
more experienced builders & pilots. It has a newly rebuild IO 360 A1B6
that
now has about 10 hours on it. The 2 front cylinders are running about
425 to
450 and the oil tem is running about 225 at cruise.  Should I be
considering
a second oil cooler or might these temps come down as it breaks in.
These a
winter time temperatures so it seems when summer comes I'll be over
redline.
Anyone help on this or thoughts would be appreciated.
>   Jim
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list