REFLECTOR: WEIGHT & BALANCE

Scott Baker sbakr at comcast.net
Sun Jan 2 16:15:01 CST 2005


Hello Tom,
I'm home at the moment and do not have the reference paperwork from the office, but I believe the aft cg of the V-173 (regardless of engine installation) is 122" aft of datum.  Please, for your first flight, make every effort to place the weight of the aircraft so that it falls within the "first flight envelope".  This might require additional forward weight/ballast.  We often use an 80# bag of cement on the floor of the copilot side - the bag is low enough to slide below the rudder pedals.  Denis Wood, a V173-RG builder with a Lycoming IO-540 needed lead ballast in the nose compartment to put the aircraft within the recommended cg flight envelope with a single person on board.  I think he added about 15-pounds to the nose (above the landing light).
Start out with the cg within the "first flight envelope" and then (in small increments) test flight the aircraft back to the 122" configuration.  Anything aft of 122" is not recommended.  I've not flown a V173 with a large engine - talking with those who have, have found it a joy if kept within the recommend cg envelope.
Best wishes,
Scott Baker

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Tom Martino 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 10:09 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: WEIGHT & BALANCE


  I submitted a full W&B calculation and used a CG envelope that was suggested to me by several Velocity flyers.  However, I never actually saw the factory recommendations.  Since I am very close to first flight, I am simply double-checking EVERYTHING - now that the inspection is over and the heat is off.  As you know I am flying a hybrid - an Elite, RG, Long Wing with an IO-540.  

   

  Which envelope would you use on this plane Scott? 

   

   

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Scott Baker [mailto:sbakr at comcast.net] 
  Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 7:29 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: WEIGHT & BALANCE

   

  Hello Tom,

  The info you seek is in the suggested Velocity POH.  What W&B info did you present to the FAA/DAR when they did the inspection for your airworthiness certificate?  Don't tell me they issued a certificate without an official W&B?

  Scott B.

   

    ----- Original Message ----- 

    From: Tom Martino 

    To: reflector at tvbf.org 

    Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 8:56 PM

    Subject: REFLECTOR: WEIGHT & BALANCE

     

    I have looked through every downloadable builder's manual on Velocity's website and can't find any specific weight and balance information.  I realize the we can set our own Max Gross Weight (within reason) ... but certainly there must be a published CG envelope somewhere.  Anyone have any ideas?

     

     

     


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050102/b4ad8294/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list