REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Leaker

Sid Knox sbjknox at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 18 21:42:33 CST 2005


Something I learned that is easier than trying to get talcum powder in tight places is instead to get a can of foot powder in a spray can.. Just the cheap stuff.... no sense paying for "medicated" powder.   (it won't heal the leak.. groan...)

Sid Knox
N199RS


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jim Agnew" <jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2005 11:29 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Leaker


> It can also run uphill depending on local air flow.  An old trick to find leaks
> is to take some talcum powder and blow it around where you think the oil is
> leaking.  It will stick to the oil and give you a path to the leak.  This
> assumes that you degrease the engine first and then do a test flight.
> 
> Jim
> 
> 
> --- "Laurence W. Coen" <lwcoen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> Richard,
>> 
>> Oil leaks can be very deceptive.  Oil runs down hill very quickly when it's
>> hot.  I don't know who supplied your engine but mine (Atlas Motors), came
>> with a Mickey Mouse starter adapter that was badly warped.  I had a new
>> starter nose piece machined from aluminum that fixed the problem.  The point
>> is, the leak could higher that you think.  Check everything on the accessory
>> case.
>> 
>> Larry Coen
>> N136LC
>>   ----- Original Message ----- 
>>   From: Richard Ring 
>>   To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
>>   Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 6:25 AM
>>   Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Leaker
>> 
>> 
>>   I have a SRG Franklin/IVO with 3hours and 15 flights. First I had high oil
>> temps(+250) on climb out and would not cool.
>>   I went through all archives and mods back 1995 and made all changes. I now
>> have oil temps below 250 if I dont exceed
>>   24 MP/2400 rpm. Each flight results in dripping oil on the floor before I
>> can get out of airplane. Oil looks  like its coming from
>>   the fuel pump and alternator plate. Iam on my third set of gskts and still
>> have the problem. The oil may be comming from
>>   the the distributing zone (air intake that carb bolts to) it has 2 long
>> bolts that have no seal that I can tell.
>> 
>>   After five months of fighting this engine I guess Iam begging for help.
>>   My Ft. Collins Franklin dealer doesnt answer his phone.
>> 
>>   Richard Ring
>> 
>> 
>>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> 
>> 
>>   _______________________________________________
>>   To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>>   Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>   user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>   Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html>
> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> =====
> James F. Agnew
> Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
> Tampa, FL
> Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list