REFLECTOR: Re: Reflector Digest, Vol 9,
Issue 68-Fuel Feed-blinking low fuel warning
Chuck Harbert
c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Feb 17 13:38:19 CST 2005
To John Dibble:
This is very strange that it only occurs intermittingly at high altitudes,
unless it is just a intermittent bad electrical connection or switch. Do you
have the same type of low fuel switch that I have ( mine is green and floats
in the sump tank)? I installed mine on the pilot side of the sump near the
top. I didn't quite understand your description and thot maybe it was a
different type switch. Are you sure the warning light itself isn't just
loose in it's socket?
I'm trying to understand what changes at higher altitude that would affect
the low fuel switch. The only thing I could think of was that atmospheric
pressure drops, so the sump tank could possibly expand a little I guess. Do
you have a sump tank vent line and the main tank vent lines per plans?
I'm assuming that you have pretty much ruled out the possibility that the
sump tank is partially emptying and that the low fuel switch is working
properly? The only way I could see that happenning is if the flow from the
mains is somehow restricted due to inadequate venting, and that the fuel
pump is pulling fuel out the sump tank and the sump vent line is letting in
air into the sump lowering the fuel level.
Chuck H
----- Original Message -----
From: <reflector-request at tvbf.org>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 9:35 AM
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 9, Issue 68
> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
> reflector at tvbf.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> reflector-request at tvbf.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> reflector-owner at tvbf.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning (John Dibble)
> 2. Re: Franklin Oil Leaker (John Dibble)
> 3. Re: PREVENTING DRAFTS (John Dibble)
> 4. RE: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning (Alex Balic)
> 5. RE: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning (Tom Martino)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:00:09 -0600
> From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <4214CD98.D6F9AC9C at bluefrog.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Sometimes my light comes on at high altitude. Sometimes it stays on for
> up to an hour. Sometimes during that hour it will occasionally blink
> "off". Sometimes it just blinks on occasionally. Sometimes it doesn't
> come on for several months. It never comes on when I am at low
> altitude. I'm thinking of re-labeling it as a warning that O2 is
> needed.
>
> John
>
> SlvEgl99 at aol.com wrote:
>
>> I have a question that may be related to venting. At high altitude
>> (10,000 or so) the sump low fuel warning light occasionally blinks on
>> and off. There is no other indication of low fuel, plenty in the mains
>> and no fuel starvation indications of any sort. This has happened only
>> twice in the hours I have flown, and as soon as I return to a lower
>> altitude there is no problem. The sump low fuel sensor is located in
>> the front, top center of the tank, about 1 1/4" below the top in the
>> position called for in the builders manual. I suppose that the higher
>> nose attitude resulting from flight at this altitude may result in
>> this condition, but I would like to hear other thoughts. Bob Wood
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050217/8a5550f9/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:18:08 -0600
> From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin Oil Leaker
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <4214D1D0.43BB194C at bluefrog.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Richard,
> Happy to hear that you are flying. Check the plug on the pilot side of
> the engine. Mine had loosened up and I couldn't find it until it got so
> loose that an 8" pool of oil appeared.
> I have observed oil inside my intake manifold, but never seen it leak
> from there.
> 250F is high for the oil. What temp are you getting for cruise? On hot
> days, I limit my climb to 500 ft/min and the oil stays below 220F. I
> have installed a marine bilge blower in the exit air duct. I mainly use
> this while taxiing to keep the oil temp down, but infrequently I will
> use it when climbing when all else fails. I find the cooling problem is
> worse when departing a 4000' airport as compared to one at 1000' or
> less.
>
> John
>
> Richard Ring wrote:
>
>> I have a SRG Franklin/IVO with 3hours and 15 flights. First I had high
>> oil temps(+250) on climb out and would not cool.I went through all
>> archives and mods back 1995 and made all changes. I now have oil temps
>> below 250 if I dont exceed24 MP/2400 rpm. Each flight results in
>> dripping oil on the floor before I can get out of airplane. Oil looks
>> like its coming fromthe fuel pump and alternator plate. Iam on my
>> third set of gskts and still have the problem. The oil may be comming
>> fromthe the distributing zone (air intake that carb bolts to) it has 2
>> long bolts that have no seal that I can tell. After five months of
>> fighting this engine I guess Iam begging for help.My Ft. Collins
>> Franklin dealer doesnt answer his phone. Richard Ring
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050217/e393f100/attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:00:23 -0600
> From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: PREVENTING DRAFTS
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <4214CDA7.127EC579 at bluefrog.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> OK. I didn't answer the question as worded, but rather the question
> that I thought was important. I don't find the draft while in the
> pattern a problem, especially with a heater system that works well.
> It's the drafts on long trips that I found to be uncomfortable. However
> during summer I feed an unused fresh air vent into the nose area to
> provide additional fresh air and cooling to the cabin.
>
> John
>
> Tom Martino wrote:
>
>> When the nose gear is closed . there is no problem. It is when the
>> gear comes down that the cold air rushes in!
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: John Dibble [mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com]
>> Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 9:10 PM
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: PREVENTING DRAFTS
>>
>> I think the simplest way to seal an RG cockpit is to make a silicone
>> seal around the nose gear doors. With that and a heat flap that
>> completely closes the oil cooler overboard air exit, you will have all
>> the heat you need this time of year.
>>
>> John
>>
>> Tom Martino wrote:
>>
>>> With the nose gear down and gear doors open . how do you guys keep
>>> air from rushing into the cockpit?
>>> I know I obviously have to install some kind of barrier . but I'm
>>> not sure of the configuration.
>>>
>>> Any ideas? Or better yet . any photos?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>
>>> N173EX
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>>
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>>
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>>
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>>
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050217/bf5832df/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:23:54 -0600
> From: Alex Balic <alex157 at direcway.com>
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <NMBBLLIAALMFAOKJBKPDOEHGDHAA.alex157 at direcway.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> IF you have a float type sensor, it may be partially flooded, - Gems makes
> a
> no-moving parts level sensor that will screw right into the same hole that
> should not cause the same problem.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of John Dibble
> Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:00 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning
>
>
> Sometimes my light comes on at high altitude. Sometimes it stays on for
> up to an hour. Sometimes during that hour it will occasionally blink
> "off".
> Sometimes it just blinks on occasionally. Sometimes it doesn't come on
> for
> several months. It never comes on when I am at low altitude. I'm
> thinking
> of re-labeling it as a warning that O2 is needed.
> John
>
> SlvEgl99 at aol.com wrote:
>
> I have a question that may be related to venting. At high altitude
> (10,000 or so) the sump low fuel warning light occasionally blinks on and
> off. There is no other indication of low fuel, plenty in the mains and no
> fuel starvation indications of any sort. This has happened only twice in
> the
> hours I have flown, and as soon as I return to a lower altitude there is
> no
> problem. The sump low fuel sensor is located in the front, top center of
> the
> tank, about 1 1/4" below the top in the position called for in the
> builders
> manual. I suppose that the higher nose attitude resulting from flight at
> this altitude may result in this condition, but I would like to hear other
> thoughts. Bob Wood
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050217/a4a4a444/attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:34:36 -0700
> From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID:
> <C99081F54537AF41AA325FAF9C5911D6653318 at 65.105.242.12.ptr.us.xo.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Where exactly should the sensor n the header tank be placed?
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Dibble [mailto:aminetech at bluefrog.com]
> Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:00 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: FUEL FEED & Vents--blinking warning
>
>
>
> Sometimes my light comes on at high altitude. Sometimes it stays on for
> up to an hour. Sometimes during that hour it will occasionally blink
> "off". Sometimes it just blinks on occasionally. Sometimes it doesn't
> come on for several months. It never comes on when I am at low
> altitude. I'm thinking of re-labeling it as a warning that O2 is
> needed.
>
> John
>
> SlvEgl99 at aol.com wrote:
>
> I have a question that may be related to venting. At high
> altitude (10,000 or so) the sump low fuel warning light occasionally
> blinks on and off. There is no other indication of low fuel, plenty in
> the mains and no fuel starvation indications of any sort. This has
> happened only twice in the hours I have flown, and as soon as I return
> to a lower altitude there is no problem. The sump low fuel sensor is
> located in the front, top center of the tank, about 1 1/4" below the top
> in the position called for in the builders manual. I suppose that the
> higher nose attitude resulting from flight at this altitude may result
> in this condition, but I would like to hear other thoughts. Bob Wood
>
>
>
>
>
> _____
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050217/cbbd1dad/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 9, Issue 68
> ****************************************
More information about the Reflector
mailing list