REFLECTOR: The definitive answer on octane and av-gas

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Feb 7 04:13:35 CST 2005


In Russia they make a hand-held device that measures octane using a
small sample of gas.  The price is around $1000.  It might be a good way
to compare avgas and autogas.

John

Jim Sower wrote:

> I STAND CORRECTED.
> The "long strands" I alluded to was more of analogy than detailed
> science and I should have been more explicit around that.  Am I
> correct in drawing from your response that the more complex chains do
> burn slower, and that slower burning equates to higher Octane?
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing more details about the relationship
> between the numbers we see on Autogas pumps and Avgas ratings.  This
> is IMO important in making a decision
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050207/aa019c38/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list