REFLECTOR: The definitive answer on octane and av-gas

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Sun Feb 6 13:08:36 CST 2005



Donald Royer wrote:

> I thought the explanation was that lead in general is a "catalyst
> poison" and tends to slow or extinguish reactions.

John

>      I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT INTACT FUEL MOLECULES DO NOT BECOME
>      BOUND TO THE LEAD ATOMS BEFORE THEY "BURN". THAT WOULD BE A
>      VERY SLOW PROCESS THAT WOULD REQUIRE A CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT
>      OF ENERGY. THE FOUR "RECEPTORS" ON THE LEAD ATOM ARE ALREADY
>      FIRMLY BOUND TO THE ETHYL GROUPS. THE REAL MECHANISM
>      PROBABLY INVOLVES SOME FORM OF RADICAL CHAIN REACTION
>      TERMINATION.
>
>      In any event, if I'm misinformed I need to get the straight
>      skinny ... Jim S.
>
>
>
>
>
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050206/79a37ba3/attachment-0001.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list