REFLECTOR: Good Friday Landing

nmflyer1 at aol.com nmflyer1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 10:22:59 CDT 2005


Jim,  
 
  There is a writer for the GA News that is a fuels expert and he writes a collum almost every issue. The most recent was the March Issue that discussed a hypothetical comparison between leaded and unleaded fuels of the same octane. I read the paper version, then toss them in the reading room at work. I do know that you can access GA News at www.generalaviationnews.com     I do not know if you can find past issues there or not. 
 
I'd have to wade through my pile of Kitplanes to find specific issues that address fuels, but they do pop up in there from time to time as well. They can also be accessed on line. 
 
 I do agree with the vapor lock concern. I plan on using 1/2" feed lines for my Chevy V-6, and a return line to the sump tank. I don't think that the fuel return to the sump will induce bubbles or vapor lock problems if done correctly. I will, however, be testing mine quite a bit on the ground to make damn sure!!
 
Kurt . 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Sower <canarder at frontiernet.net>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:06:06 -0500
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Good Friday Landing




NMFlyer1 at aol.com wrote:

<snip> 
 
I too have the Airflow Performance injection and pump setup. It sounds like my planned install point will work. In talking with Scott, I also plan on using a 1/2" supply line to the engine. The 3/8" line will only supply enough fuel for 300HP or less, and I dont think that counts the return line. Since I have 340 HP, it only makes sense to install the 1/2" lines.
I think that avoiding vapor lock (which seems to be a big problem in EFI engines no matter if you're burning Mogas or 100LL) turns to a significant extent on the return line going to a main tank, or at least a large enough sump so that recirculation won't overheat the fuel supply.  The rotary Cozy I am building will have a large (1/2" - 5/8") line gravity feeding from the Right strake to the sump, and the return from the rail will be to that same strake.  I will have a Facet pump that transfers fuel from the Left strake to the right.  Additionally, I am toying seriously with a small (~040) orifice plug "T"d into the highest point in the line from the pump to the rail that vents back to the sump or strake.  This point will vent all vapor or air that may be introduced into the high pressure system for whatever reason, and bypass trivial fuel in the absence of air/vapor.

 
As for the Mogas/100LL comparison, there is quite a bit of information on that recently in the GA flyer and Kitplanes. Good information for the auto conversion folks here.
Which Kitplanes and where can I access the GA Flyer articles?  
Thanks ... Jim S.

 
 
Thanks again for sharing your info and glad all is ok. 
 
Kurt Winker

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20050411/a4b93ff1/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list