REFLECTOR: RG dump valve

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Sep 17 22:14:59 CDT 2004


Mines on the left side of the keel, a bit forward of my knee.  In visual 
range with out stooping, though I do have to bend to reach it.

I have kicked it when leaving the plane, and not noticed it was not in its 
"normal ops" position.

If its really out of position when you hit the master the gear pump will 
run and run and run, until my brain kicks into gear and I reach over and 
rotate it to "normal".

If its just a bit out of position it can really play games with you.  We 
took off one early morning last winter from Grants, on our way to WVI, a 4 
hour flight to the left coast.   Everything seemed normal as we climbed to 
10500 for the initial cruise altitude.  I thought I noticed a flicker on 
the gear panel.   hmm...   About 10 minutes later I could have sworn I saw 
another flicker of light near the gear panel.  10 minutes later with 
eyeballs glued to the gear panel I did see the pump light flicker..

I thought about telling Jan we might have to turn back but decided to keep 
my eyes on it to see if it happened again .  Sure enough about 10 minutes 
later it flickered again.  It didn't stay on more than a second. Dang I 
thought.  It was such a beautiful morning, heading over eastern Arizona 
with the sun rising behind us..

I reset the breaker.  5 minutes later another flicker..   I decided it was 
time to turn around and go home to troubleshoot this on the ground  when it 
dawned on me, the "dump valve"!!!

Sure enough it was cocked about 5 -10 degrees from "normal".   twisted her 
tight and not a peep out of that gear pump for the rest of the flight to 
the California coast.

Scott

At 11:03 AM 9/17/2004, you wrote:
>Hey all.....Can anyone tell me their preferred or favorite location of the 
>RG dump valve?  I am reworking some of my hydraulic lines and have the 
>'opportunity' to locate it another place other than under the pilot seat. 
>(Actually it looks rather difficult to get it back in there where from 
>where it came)...THANX   Jeff Clough
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin



More information about the Reflector mailing list