REFLECTOR: Gear warning horn

Ronnie Brown romott at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 9 17:44:54 CDT 2004


Al,

I will work on getting a horn reset schematic to you either via internet or fax in a couple of days.  

And, you're correct, the secondary locking arm moves around and the microswitch does not always indicate down and locked.  I mounted mine there and had to move it.  I put it right on top of the over center linkage.  It is mounted on one side and the finger reaches over the center joint and senses the other side of the over center.   I was worried about the "pop" when the overcenter locks, but so far the switch is holding up fine and works great. 

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Al Gietzen 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 10:28 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Gear warning horn


  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Gear warning horn



  Hi Al, 



  I would suggest using a microswitch on the throttle instead of relying on the airspeed switch.  The airspeed switch is only measuring about 4 inches of water pressure (approx 80 kts) which makes it pretty inaccurate for indicating airspeed. 



  Thanks, Ronnie.  I was wondering about its accuracy.



    I also incorporated a gear horn silence relay that I can engage but it automatically resets/rearms when either the throttle is advanced again or the main gear is extended.  I can send that schematic if anyone wants it.



  The horn reset is needed no matter what else.  I'd appreciate that schematic.  Either e-mail or fax to 760,630-5665.  Thanks.



  I mounted my main gear microswitch on the top of the over center linkage at the center pivot so that it closes only when the over center is all the way down..  I first mounted it on the secondary locking arm but that didn't indicate correctly.



  Do you know why it didn't indicate correctly?  I was planning on sensing the locking arm down so it really would mean down "and locked".  It may be that the locking arm gets into locked position at other points in the cycle.  I was going to check that before final mounting of the switch.



  Al



    From: Al Gietzen 

    To: reflector 

    Sent: Wednesday, September 08, 2004 6:45 PM

    Subject: REFLECTOR: Gear warning horn



    The normal approach for wiring the gear warning horn is a low throttle position switch.  Having a liquid cooled engine, I think I may be less reluctant than otherwise to pull the throttle all the way back for slowing and descending when I have no intention of landing; and having the annoyance of having to reset the gear horn.



    I have an 'airspeed switch' to prevent gear up while on the ground; so I'm thinking of using a double throw relay circuit that activates the warning horn at the speed the air speed switch opens.  Then set that for a tad above final approach speed; and horn sounds if gear is not down.



    Is this re-invention of the wheel, or maybe not a good idea; or trading one set of annoyances for another.



    And while I'm at it; what's a good location for "Up and Locked" switch on the nose gear?



    Al




----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
    Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040909/b2642ace/attachment-0001.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list