REFLECTOR: Fwd: RE: Brake Upgrade

Jack Sheehan j.f.sheehan at larc.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 14 16:04:33 CDT 2004


My comments are only relative to the 323 compound brake . This brake 
does heat up more than the others but it is inherent in the design. 
The entire brake is in inside the wheel. There are no external 
calipers  cooled by air. I believe the 323 compound brake works well 
is because you really don't use the full capacity under normal 
conditions. The 600XT brake is designed for about 337,00 ft lbs of 
energy absorption and provides 6400 in lbs of torque. the 323 
compound brake is designed for about 410,00 ft lbs of energy 
absorption and provides 8900 in lbs of torque. I guess I have not 
found a reason to use all the brake. All of the brakes are rated with 
450 lbs of pressure but I doubt that the toyota clutch cylinder are 
really providing that much no matter how hard you push. Another loss 
in the system may be the nylaflow it probably gives a little.
Jack
N55XL


More information about the Reflector mailing list