REFLECTOR: roll-trim system
Christopher Martin
christophercmartin at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 6 19:57:39 CST 2004
Don,
I have 550 hours on my XL RG and never use the roll trim. I originally had a Navaid Wing Leveler and switched to a EZ Pilot Auto pilot by Trio http://www.trioavionics.com/index.htm. It is excellent. My roll trim is still in the plane and is working but I never have the need. With the auto pilot off, the plane flies straight because it's trimmed well. And, that took a lot of time in wing shimming and rudder adjustment. If I were to build again, I would leave out the roll trim completely . Might as well save the weight of 1 pound in motor, aluminum backing plate, wire and string. I am also using the altitude hold from TRU Trak http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com/index.html. This is a simple servo connected to mu pitch trim spring works great. Fly the plane to altitude, adjust cruise speed and mixture, trim the plane for level flight and push the altitude hold button. I put over 10,000 miles on the plane in the past 4 months going from LA to OSH and 2 weeks ago, down to Cabo San Lucas and back. The set up was very reliable in turbulence and weather.
Christopher Martin
christophercmartin at earthlink.net
----- Original Message -----
From:
To: reflector at awpi.com
Sent: 11/5/2004 5:06:32 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: roll-trim system
Shortly after flying off my restrictions on my plane in 1998, I removed the roll trim system as never needed or used it. Any roll trim required is handled by my Navaid Auto Pilot.
Do any of you Velocity pilots with an installed auto pilot ever use your roll-trim?
First make sure your plane flies straight with neutral ailerons. My bank indicator was originally installed in the panel not perfectly level so with ball centered, plane was flying in a slight crab causing uneven fuel tank flows. Adjusting left rudder out 1/4" at aft edge and rotating bank indicator to level solved the problem.
Don White N19DW XL/RG
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20041106/35f2517d/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list