REFLECTOR: Engine Selection

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Wed Jun 16 22:11:15 CDT 2004


Kurt & JP,

As Kurt knows, I am also very interested in High Density Altitude Take Off 
Performance.

I heartily volunteer to photograph and verify weights and distances.

The test must be run on a hot day though, or its really not a 
test.  Density altitude at Mid-Valley was 9300 Ft today.  It was 10,300 in 
neighboring Grants, NM at 1pm,  my home field.

Pretty normal day time density altitudes for us in the mountain 
west.  Pretty uncommon for you folks in WA.

Bring on that Delta Hawk powered, gross weight Velocity!!!  You can gas up 
at Grants(GNT) on our way into Mid-Valley, we got the Jet-A.

JP, If you can get off the ground at Mid-Valley, at full gross, with at 
least 1000 ft to spare, with a temperature of at least 85 degrees, I'll pay 
for your fuel bill at Grants.

Scott

At 07:38 PM 6/16/2004, you wrote:
>JP,
>
>To be very honest,    If you had flown the DH out to my airport... and 
>could actually get off the Ground safely in the middle of summer... fully 
>loaded... I would have put down my money on it!  Since that was not an 
>option when i had to pick an engine... I did the next best thing:  I built 
>a 325 HP Aluminum V-6 that weighs the same as an IO-360 complete. I had 
>fewer obstacles to go through than you folks did.. and I admire your 
>conviction, determination, and knowledge.
>
>While I still do not believe your product would carry a 173 FGE out of my 
>airport safely, I do believe it is a worthwhile consideration for the 
>majority of V-builders. All you have to do is convince them.. and I 
>believe that you just might.
>
>Again... not all products fit all builders... but you are doing an 
>admirable job.... Keep up the good work.
>
>Kurt Winker
>E-98
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin



More information about the Reflector mailing list