REFLECTOR:One Fast Velocity
Brian Michalk
reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:25:13 -0500
On Monday I went up with my friend Mike Deeter to collect some flight
performance data.
I must say that the Franklin and IVO prop make a screaming combination for
not a lot of $$$.
Its a standard elite RG. Carbureted/magneto Franklin, electric IVO.
Nothing special.
I wanted to get more data, but clouds below 5000 was a problem.
The best speed we saw was at 7500 feet altitude, full throttle, the first
altitude where we actually
achieved full open throttle.
182KTS TAS, 2520 RPM, 23.1 inches MAP, 12.4GPH.
I was more impressed however, with putting more pitch in the prop. At this
same altitude, I took data at progressively slower RPM's (same throttle).
174KTS TAS, 2300 RPM, 23.5 inches MAP, 10.8GPH.
We stabilized a climb through 8000 feet at 120 kts indicated, 144kts true at
700FPM rate.
Levelling at 9000, going through various MAP/RPM settings, I was impressed
by the economies achieved:
KTS TAS RPM MAP GPH
1 147 2370 19.7 9.5
2 180 2520 21.8 12
3 175 2400 21.9 11.2
4 162 2200 22.1 9.9
At line 1, this is at 120 kts indicated (where I started data collection),
147TAS. This is partial throttle operation. Not bad for 9.5GPH, but look
at line 4, full throttle, slower RPM. Faster speed, with just a little more
fuel flow. I find it surprising that pumping losses account for a 5%
penalty between lines 1 and 4. That's 15.5 nautical miles/gal and 16.4
nautical miles/gal for lines 1 and 4.
The most economical was at 7500 feet:
174KTS TAS 2300RPM 23.5MAP 10.8GPH, making that 16.1 nm/gallon. I don't
know why I didn't get at data point at 2200RPM. It would have been better
yet.
What this says to me is pick a MAP/RPM combo that is the economy setting you
want, then fly the altitude that will give you that power setting at WOT.
It was hot too. 95F on the ground, adding about 3000' for density altitude.
I love this stuff. Can't wait to go back up and get more data to fill out
the chart.
This data makes flying a Warrior look expensive.
Brian Michalk <http://www.michalk.com>
Life is what you make of it ... never wish you had done something.
Aviator, experimental aircraft builder, motorcyclist, SCUBA diver
musician, home-brewer, entrepreneur and barely single