REFLECTOR: Vortilons

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:28:53 -0500


Jack,

I get the same speed in the XL RG...if I have about an 80kt tailwind!!!  I
too am going thru the "I tired of freezing to death and I'm not going to
take it any more."  I'm going to try tapping into the oil line to the front
cooler and route it to a cooler in a plenum in the nose so the air flow can
slow down and absorb the heat or I'll route it to a oil cooler in the cabin
and use a fan to blow air across it.  

No doubt about it, the heated seats and nice blanket doesn't cut it at -8C.
It feels like a meat locker.  When I blocked off enough air flow through the
front oil cooler, it heated up the air nice, but the engine oil temp went up
30F.  I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm doing it!!!

Want a cheap speed increase...gap seals were the answer for me.  I gained an
easy 5 kts and maybe as much as 8-9kts with a $5 gap seal kit, though it
doesn't help aileron responsiveness any!

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Jack Sheehan
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 2:03 PM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Vortilons


Wow ! So much discussion VG's Vortillons , Trailing edge fences. I 
must be nuts. I have about 150 Hours on my XL-RG I did the test 
flying without anything. It flew great. I painted the airplane and it 
flew better. ( guess I just got better). I have looked at all the 
stuff and am reluctant to make any changes because the wing just 
looks good clean. The airplane gets a little sloppy below 100 knots 
with the gear down. You have to use the rudders to lead the turn and 
the aileron inputs are very deliberate. The problem I have is I am so 
used to it everything feels OK. I plan to install the vortillons and 
see if that makes a big change and then put on some trailing edge 
fences to see if that does anything. I would remove anything that 
effects the top end. I would rather go fast.
The only other modification I would be looking to do would be to get 
some more heat in the airplane. On a trip back from Kentucky last 
week I was really cold OAT -8C @  FL 015 but the ground speed was 260 
KTS 285 in the decent.
Jack
N55XL
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html