REFLECTOR:Mag Timing Slipped?

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:24:31 -0500


This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EFF2.5EB400F0
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

Ronnie,
 
Don't feel bad.  I've noticed most of my problems are associated with having
a screw loose too.
 
Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of
Ronnie Brown
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 9:58 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Mag Timing Slipped?


 
Larry, 

I think my problem is due to a loose screw holding the points. My I/A buddy
checked the internal timing and it was off.  There is good info at
www.sacskyranch.com <http://www.sacskyranch.com>  

I will reinstall and monitor my timing more closely.  I was surprised to
find the error since the engine has been running flawlessly, compressions
are great 79/80 and the plugs were nice and clean.

Thanks
Ronnie



----- Original Message ----- 
From: Laurence  <mailto:lwcoen@hotmail.com> Coen 
To: reflector@tvbf.org <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>  
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 11:30 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Mag Timing Slipped?

Ronnie,
 
Check the point gap.  I seem to remember that in a Slick it is possible to
have the point clamping screw bottom out if you use the wrong one or leave
off one of the washers.  
 
Larry Coen
Std. RG-E

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Ronnie  <mailto:romott@adelphia.net> Brown 
To: reflector@tvbf.org <mailto:reflector@tvbf.org>  
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2004 7:25 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR:Mag Timing Slipped?


I am doing my first condition inspection on my 173 Elite RG and all is
looking great except:
 
When I checked my Slick mag timing, I found it at 32 degrees BTDC.  Since
our Cessna 172 in 10 years never had the timing reset except for the 500
hour mandatory inspections of the Bendix dual mag, this has me scratching my
head.  The timing on the Jeff Rose has not changed.
 
The retaining bolts were tight, an internal inspection of the mag reveals
nothing (however, I have not checked the internal timing yet) , and I KNOW
the timing was set correctly (25 degrees BTDC) on this Lycoming IO360.  I
had a low static RPM - 2100 rpms - so we checked everything before changing
the prop.  Any worn parts in the gearing would cause the timing to be more
retarded.
 
Is it reasonable to think that the points could wear enough to cause the
timing to move that much?
 
Or any other ideas?
 
THANKS
Ronnie Brown


------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EFF2.5EB400F0
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">


<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=500011816-10022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Ronnie,</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=500011816-10022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=500011816-10022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Don't 
feel bad.&nbsp; I've noticed most of my problems are associated with having a 
screw loose too.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=500011816-10022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=500011816-10022004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff 
size=2>Chuck</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma 
  size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> reflector-admin@tvbf.org 
  [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie 
  Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, February 10, 2004 9:58 AM<BR><B>To:</B> 
  reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Mag Timing 
  Slipped?<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2><FONT size=3>Larry,</FONT> </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><BR>I think my problem is due to a loose screw 
  holding the points. My I/A buddy checked the internal timing and it was 
  off.&nbsp; There is good info at <A 
  href="http://www.sacskyranch.com">www.sacskyranch.com</A> <BR><BR>I will 
  reinstall and monitor my timing more closely.&nbsp; I was surprised to<BR>find 
  the error since the engine has been running flawlessly, compressions<BR>are 
  great 79/80 and the plugs were nice and 
  clean.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Ronnie<BR><BR></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
  style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV 
    style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
    <A title=lwcoen@hotmail.com href="mailto:lwcoen@hotmail.com">Laurence 
    Coen</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=reflector@tvbf.org 
    href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, February 09, 2004 11:30 
    AM</DIV>
    <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: REFLECTOR:Mag Timing 
    Slipped?</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ronnie,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Check the point gap.&nbsp; I seem to remember 
    that in a Slick it is possible to have the point clamping screw bottom out 
    if you use the wrong one or leave off one of the washers.&nbsp; 
</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Larry Coen</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Std. RG-E</FONT></DIV>
    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr 
    style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
      <DIV 
      style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> 
      <A title=romott@adelphia.net href="mailto:romott@adelphia.net">Ronnie 
      Brown</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=reflector@tvbf.org 
      href="mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, February 09, 2004 7:25 
      AM</DIV>
      <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Mag Timing 
      Slipped?</DIV>
      <DIV><BR></DIV>
      <DIV><FONT size=2>
      <DIV>I am doing my first condition inspection on my 173 Elite RG and all 
      is looking great except:</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>When I checked my Slick mag timing, I found it at 32 degrees 
      BTDC.&nbsp; Since our Cessna 172 in 10 years never had the timing reset 
      except for the&nbsp;500 hour mandatory inspections of the Bendix dual mag, 
      this has me scratching my head.&nbsp; The timing on the Jeff Rose has not 
      changed.</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>The retaining bolts were tight, an internal inspection of the mag 
      reveals nothing (however, I have not checked the internal timing yet) , 
      and I KNOW the timing was set correctly (25 degrees BTDC) on&nbsp;this 
      Lycoming IO360.&nbsp; I had a low static RPM - 2100 rpms - so we checked 
      everything before changing the prop.&nbsp; Any worn parts in the gearing 
      would cause the timing to be more retarded.</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Is it reasonable to think that the points could wear enough&nbsp;to 
      cause the timing to move that&nbsp;much?</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>Or any other ideas?</DIV>
      <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
      <DIV>THANKS</DIV>
      <DIV>Ronnie 
Brown</DIV></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3EFF2.5EB400F0--