REFLECTOR: Fw: Fw: AeroTec Nose gear door retract cylinder

johnward n120rj at gulftel.com
Sat Dec 11 09:30:31 CST 2004


Scott,
    Additional information regarding your msg. of 12/09/04 about nose gear
cylinder leak.  Also check pg. 5, Builder Hints & Information, Velocity
Views#39.  Information about not allowing the slide guides to control the
piston movement and the possible requirement of using a limiting bushing
similar to what is used on the nose and main gear retract cylinders.
John Ward

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Scott Derrick" <scott at tnstaafl.net>
To: "johnward" <n120rj at gulftel.com>
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: AeroTec Nose gear door retract cylinder


> John,
>
> Thanks when I get it off I'll try to make sense of what I have...
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> At 08:47 PM 12/9/2004, you wrote:
> >Scott,
> >     Just in case the leak is due to a deformed end piece the rebuild kit
may
> >not fix the problem.  My old AeroTec cylinder end piece was coned out and
> >Scott Swing sent me a new end piece which was a machined piece that had a
> >shoulder for additional strength and wouldn't fit the old retract
cylinder I
> >had.  I guess I'm saying if you have the old style with a flat aluminum
> >washer you should probably replace it with steel as I did.  If you have
the
> >end piece with a shoulder (thicker/stronger), just doing the rebuild kit
> >will probably solve the problem.  Anyway I was back and forth with the
> >factory because of the different end piece.
> >If this is confusing let me know and I'll try again.  Also let me know
how
> >it goes.
> >John Ward
> >Standard, Elite RG, IO-360.  Wishing for a supercharger.
> >
> >
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: "johnward" <johnward at gulftel.com>
> > > To: "Scott Swing" <ScottS at velocityaircraft.com>
> > > Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 10:09 AM
> > > Subject: AeroTec Nose gear door retract cylinder
> > >
> > >
> > > > Scott,
> > > >     Think I got it.  After several attempts, almost went to a
machine
> >shop,
> > > > found 1/4" Grade 5, hardened flat washers at Lowe's.  Called 1/4"
but
> >the
> > > > hole is actually 5/16".  Outside diameter is 3/4".  These are 60
> > > thousandth
> > > > so the only work was to file the thickness down to 50 thousandth so
the
> >clip would fit.  If I
> > > had
> > > > known more about washers I would have been on my way a little
faster.
> > > > Haven't completed the drop check but seemed to go back together
okay.
> > > Will
> > > > send the one you made back to you.
> > > >     Anyway when it started it noticed a drop of hydraulic fluid on
the
> > > bottom
> > > > of cylinder.  Didn't get any worse so I continued to fly.  Then one
day
> > > the
> > > > pump started to cycle on and off.  Discovered the end aluminum
washer
> >was
> > > > "coned" outward and additionally kicked out the retaining clip.
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > John Ward
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
>
>
> "Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
> - Benjamin Franklin
>
>
>




More information about the Reflector mailing list