REFLECTOR: Lower winglets
Lynn Gallup
LGallup at mn.rr.com
Fri Aug 6 09:24:21 CDT 2004
I have them because the Duane and Scott felt the additional stab/rudder area
was a help in crosswind landings. All I can say is I have successfully
landed in some pretty serious crosswinds and in one gusty mother-of-them-all
a lower winglet served exceptionally well - It was MUCH easier to repair
than a wing tip and strobe!
Lynn
----- Original Message -----
From: "KeithHallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Lower winglets
> I posted this a month ago, but it incited no comments. Anyone care to
share
> an opinion?
> Keith
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "KeithHallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Sunday, July 04, 2004 4:13 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Lower winglets
>
>
> I was preparing to install my lower winglets yesterday, and was thinking
> about installing them "backwards", so they push the air inboard on the
> bottom of the wingtip, rather than outboard. This would be accomplished
by
> installing the left lower winglet under the right wingtip, and vice-versa.
> Although this theoretically has the potential to (very slightly) reduce
the
> induced drag, it would not look as good, since the lower and upper
winglets
> would not line up with each other, and the lower winglet would not fair in
> below the rudder. On the other hand, the trailing edge of the lower
winglet
> would be inboard of the rudder, so it could be fitted tightly to the wing
> without interfering with the motion of the rudder. Has anyone done this?
>
> I suspect that the lower winglets may be so short as to have only a tiny
> effect due to their "airfoil" shape. Thus, it may not make any measurable
> difference. However, I'm one of those oddball "form follows function"
guys
> who would rather have a plane that looks a little wierd than accept less
> than "optimal" design.
>
> You may fire when ready!
>
> Keith Hallsten
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list