REFLECTOR: Lower winglets
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Aug 4 23:34:45 CDT 2004
Keith;
I considered a response, especially since I think I'm the culprit that
pointed out that Velocity had them backwards; well, at least from Rutan's
design and all the EZs. But then figured, hey; if you can make it work
swapping side to side, go for it. I doubt that it makes much difference;
although it may improve the efficiency of the wing at the tip just a bit by
taking some energy out of the wingtip vortex; which I'll guess was Bert's
idea in the first place.
I had decided to start from scratch with my own design, because it might be
better to angle them outward a bit and extend them back beyond the rudder
edge, but have decided it is a lower priority than getting in the air.
Maybe it's one of those things for future improvement.
Al
Subject: REFLECTOR: Lower winglets
I was preparing to install my lower winglets yesterday, and was thinking
about installing them "backwards", so they push the air inboard on the
bottom of the wingtip, rather than outboard. This would be accomplished by
installing the left lower winglet under the right wingtip, and vice-versa.
Although this theoretically has the potential to (very slightly) reduce the
induced drag, it would not look as good, since the lower and upper winglets
would not line up with each other, and the lower winglet would not fair in
below the rudder. On the other hand, the trailing edge of the lower winglet
would be inboard of the rudder, so it could be fitted tightly to the wing
without interfering with the motion of the rudder. Has anyone done this?
I suspect that the lower winglets may be so short as to have only a tiny
effect due to their "airfoil" shape. Thus, it may not make any measurable
difference. However, I'm one of those oddball "form follows function" guys
who would rather have a plane that looks a little wierd than accept less
than "optimal" design.
You may fire when ready!
Keith Hallsten
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20040804/9be898a4/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list