REFLECTOR:Full stopping at gross.
Chuck Jensen
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:04:37 -0400
Well said, from a man of experience.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of RJohn15183@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 10:44 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Full stopping at gross.
> IF you are at full gross and then right before lift,
> you abort, will the current Matco brakes NOT be able to
> lock the tires?
I could on my XL but lots of folks say they can't. But I bled and bled and
bled and bled before I got to the point where I could lock them up! :)
> If I recall, the situation that happened before was that full brakes
> were not applied so as not to flat spot the tires, but just ride them
> hard, which led to brake fade.
If you talking about me then that is close except I was not making any
effort trying to avoid flat spotting. I was just hitting the brakes
"normally". The difference was that "normally" I had coasted down to maybe
30 knots after touch down before hitting the brakes whereas on that
particular day I was doing 58 knots.
> If the brakes will lock the wheels, then wouldn't the proper procedure
> for an aborted take-off with minimal runway left <2000 would be to
> stomp and lock the wheels.
Sure! We also discussed retracting the nose wheel and some other emergency
stopping procedures as well. IMHO though aren't good brakes really the
simplest, safest answer even if they cost an extra $500? I think the Factory
trade in program for Cleveland's is truly EXCELLENT. All hail the factory
crew for making this available!!
I am as cheap as anyone out there but if you are in an XL then spend the
money and make the trade! It sure beats that sickening feeling of coasting
down the runway with no stopping and no steering heading for the ditch and
the state highway at the end of the runway. :)
DM Rob
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html