REFLECTOR:Props

Chuck Jensen reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:53:10 -0400


Scott,

I was kind of thinking along the same lines.  A lot of these "development"
companies have more ideas than resources (aka money).  If we isolated one,
or two, of the candidates that had the deepest and most innovative
engineering/fabrication/test/production capability (and I have no idea how
that would be done), maybe a few of us that haven't spent our last-red-cent
on our Velo, could get together and be the "pusher" for one of these
companies to get off the dime.  

Listening to Reflector is not exactly market research but it does seem there
is a market for a reasonably priced prop that can be supported with decent
service and continued effort to resolve problems.  In the end, it's
unrealistic that any CS prop is going to come in less than $10K, but that
would still be a bargain compared to our non-choices today.  We already pay
that much for an 20% solution (20% of the MT customers are happy---the other
80% would like to manually reduce their oxygen intake).

So, who, of the prop people that have been discussed, is most deserving and
have the highest likelihood of succeeding?

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 9:12 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Props



>I found Whirlwind http://www.whirlwindpropellers.com has a prop that would
>be good for the XL.  I don't know that they make it in the pusher
>configuration.  At $12.5K for the prop and $1,275 for the governor it ain't
>cheap.  After hearing the maintenance and downtime woes, any option that
>would be more robust than the MT sounds like it would be a better value.

I talked to Whirlwind a year ago and they said they were "thinking" about 
"starting" to adapt it for pusher configuration..

I talked to Carter Copter a few months ago about their constant speed 
composite prop design.  They are very interested in having it developed for 
the experimental market.  I didn't go into the details with them other than 
they would like to license the design to further its development and of 
course put some cash into thier pockets. I would certainly be interested in 
participating in a project like this.  Anybody else interested in doing
this?


Scott

"Those who sacrifice freedom to get security, deserve neither."
- Benjamin Franklin

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html