REFLECTOR:Vance's Sight Gauges

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:34:36 -0700


Craig,

I would be inclined to use something a bit more aggressive than 220 grit
(like maybe 80) to get some better "tooth" on the surfaces to be bonded,
then bond it, let set, and cover it with the bid layups to prevent anyone
from knocking it loose or pulling on it!  The bid is really what's going to
hold it together, the initial bond is more for sealing purposes.

On the rollover jig, I had some 2x4's and 1/4" plywood laying around, so I
built the rocker frames from the 2x4's and screwed the light plywood onto
the sides to stiffen it up.  On one side the plywood was cut to the "rocker"
shape, the other side was just a rectangular patch in the high-stress area
close to the spar connection.  They aren't beautiful, but a little bracing
between the two rockers (more 2x4's) stiffened the assembly up so that it
was not a hazard.  Mine will come all apart in about 20 minutes by zipping
out all the screws (love that cordless drill!)
I think the moral of the story is that there are very many designs that will
do the job, so see what you can do with what you have lying about, without
spending too much money or time!  It may not be that much more trouble to
just build yourself a pair rather than to get someone else's.  I know I'm
going to be rolling by plane over a few more times, so I won't be ready to
give mine away for several months.

Keith Hallsten, XLFG, Lincoln, CA

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Craig and/or Denise Woolston" <cdwoolston@earthlink.net>
To: "reflector" <reflector@awpi.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 1:55 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR:Vance's Sight Gauges


> For those that have Vance's sight gauges, what did you use to glue the
clear
> plastic bubble to the white base?  I tried Velocipoxy with flox and
roughed
> the surface with 220 and got very poor adhesion (I just popped them loose
> with very little effort).  Mostly I believe because of poor contact
> pressure.  Was curious how others had done what Vance describes as such
any
> easy process.
>
> Craig
>
> !----------------------------!
> ! Craig Woolston             !
> ! XL-FG in Palmdale, CA      !
> ! cdwoolston@earthlink.net   !
> !----------------------------!
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html