REFLECTOR:Cooling Baffles

Pat Shea reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:57:53 -0700 (PDT)


more pics of cooling wraps attached to plenum:

http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/?dir=subsystems%2Fair_cooling

--- Ronnie Brown <romott@adelphia.net> wrote:
> I installed the fiberglass plenums on the engine
> then I used poster paper to make my patterns for the
> bottom of the cylinder wraps.  Then I cut and bent
> the SS sheet using the poster paper as a pattern.
> 
> I just bolted my stainless steel (could have been
> .030 aluminum) to the edges of the fiberglass
> plenums using 3/16" screws, washers and nuts.  I
> didn't do any reinforcing, but if this becomes a
> problem, it is just a matter of cleaning the
> fiberglass and laying a couple more layers of BID to
> stiffen it.  So far (85 hours), no problems.  I made
> the threaded rods out of 3/16 mild steel non
> threaded rod from Lowe's) and threaded the ends
> using a fine thread die.  
> 
> I was also lucky in that I was renting space in my
> A&P IA's hanger so I often had a chance to look at
> engines, installations, etc.  And although the rent
> was $200 a month, I got lots of free advice and
> answers (and use of his tools and parts inventory -
> I paid for the parts!).  And I was always available
> to give him a hand when he needed somebody to handle
> a bucking bar or help hold something he was
> installing, etc.  A great set up!!!
> 
> Ronnie
> 
>   ----- Original Message ----- 
>   From: Brian Michalk 
>   To: reflector@tvbf.org 
>   Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:51 AM
>   Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Cooling Baffles
> 
> 
>   Could you elaborate on the process for your
> shroud?  What were the steps to integrate the
> fiberglass with the metal?
>   Did you make the steel parts first?
> 
>   I've made plenums, but it's usually a multiple
> step process where the metal bits are glassed into
> holes cut in the piece.
> 
>   Yours looks very professional.
>     -----Original Message-----
>     From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On Behalf Of Ronnie
> Brown
>     Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 8:40 AM
>     To: reflector@tvbf.org
>     Subject: REFLECTOR:Cooling Baffles
> 
> 
>     Here's a picture of the wraps I made for my
> cylinders.  There is a 3/16 threaded rod that ties
> them together across the bottom of the cylinders.
> 
>    
> http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page55.html
> 
>     Ronnie
> 


__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com