REFLECTOR:Cooling Baffles

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:53:10 -0400


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C37AB6.C5519300
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I installed the fiberglass plenums on the engine then I used poster =
paper to make my patterns for the bottom of the cylinder wraps.  Then I =
cut and bent the SS sheet using the poster paper as a pattern.

I just bolted my stainless steel (could have been .030 aluminum) to the =
edges of the fiberglass plenums using 3/16" screws, washers and nuts.  I =
didn't do any reinforcing, but if this becomes a problem, it is just a =
matter of cleaning the fiberglass and laying a couple more layers of BID =
to stiffen it.  So far (85 hours), no problems.  I made the threaded =
rods out of 3/16 mild steel non threaded rod from Lowe's) and threaded =
the ends using a fine thread die. =20

I was also lucky in that I was renting space in my A&P IA's hanger so I =
often had a chance to look at engines, installations, etc.  And although =
the rent was $200 a month, I got lots of free advice and answers (and =
use of his tools and parts inventory - I paid for the parts!).  And I =
was always available to give him a hand when he needed somebody to =
handle a bucking bar or help hold something he was installing, etc.  A =
great set up!!!

Ronnie

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Brian Michalk=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 10:51 AM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Cooling Baffles


  Could you elaborate on the process for your shroud?  What were the =
steps to integrate the fiberglass with the metal?
  Did you make the steel parts first?

  I've made plenums, but it's usually a multiple step process where the =
metal bits are glassed into holes cut in the piece.

  Yours looks very professional.
    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On =
Behalf Of Ronnie Brown
    Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2003 8:40 AM
    To: reflector@tvbf.org
    Subject: REFLECTOR:Cooling Baffles


    Here's a picture of the wraps I made for my cylinders.  There is a =
3/16 threaded rod that ties them together across the bottom of the =
cylinders.

    http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page55.html

    Ronnie

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C37AB6.C5519300
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4134.600" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I installed the fiberglass plenums on the engine =
then I used=20
poster paper to make my patterns for the bottom of the cylinder =
wraps.&nbsp;=20
Then I cut and bent the SS sheet using the poster paper as&nbsp;a=20
pattern.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I just bolted my stainless steel (could have been =
.030=20
aluminum) to the edges of the fiberglass plenums using 3/16" screws,=20
washers&nbsp;and nuts.&nbsp; I didn't do any reinforcing, but if this =
becomes a=20
problem, it is just a matter of cleaning the fiberglass and laying a =
couple more=20
layers of BID to stiffen it.&nbsp; So far (85 hours), no problems.&nbsp; =
I made=20
the threaded rods out of 3/16 mild steel non threaded rod&nbsp;from =
Lowe's) and=20
threaded the ends using a fine thread die.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I was also lucky in that I was renting space&nbsp;in =
my=20
A&amp;P IA's hanger&nbsp;so I often had a chance to look at engines,=20
installations, etc.&nbsp; And although the rent was $200 a month, I got =
lots of=20
free advice and answers (and use of his tools and parts inventory - I =
paid for=20
the parts!).&nbsp; And I was always available to give him a hand when he =
needed=20
somebody to handle a bucking bar or help hold something he was =
installing,=20
etc.&nbsp; A great set up!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dmichalk@awpi.com href=3D"mailto:michalk@awpi.com">Brian =
Michalk</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, September 14, =
2003 10:51=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> RE: REFLECTOR:Cooling=20
  Baffles</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D960284814-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2>Could you elaborate on the process for your shroud?&nbsp; =
What were the=20
  steps to integrate the fiberglass with the metal?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D960284814-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>Did=20
  you make the steel parts first?</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D960284814-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D960284814-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff size=3D2>I've=20
  made plenums, but it's usually a multiple step process where the metal =
bits=20
  are glassed into holes cut in the piece.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D960284814-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><SPAN class=3D960284814-14092003><FONT face=3DArial =
color=3D#0000ff=20
  size=3D2>Yours looks very professional.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px =
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT =
face=3DTahoma=20
    size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
reflector-admin@tvbf.org=20
    [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Ronnie=20
    Brown<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, September 14, 2003 8:40 =
AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
    reflector@tvbf.org<BR><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Cooling=20
    Baffles<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Here's a picture of the wraps I made for my=20
    cylinders.&nbsp; There is a 3/16 threaded rod that ties them =
together across=20
    the bottom of the cylinders.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
    =
href=3D"http://home.sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page55.html">http://home.=
sprintmail.com/~rolandbrown/page55.html</A></FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT =
size=3D2>Ronnie</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00E0_01C37AB6.C5519300--