REFLECTOR:Cooling a canard

John Dibble reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:18:09 -0400


Actually any water will evaporate at temperatures much lower than 190 F, much like a
wet towel dries in the air.

John Dibble

Chuck Jensen wrote:

> Well, Larry, the definite answer to that is "maybe."  I assume the 212F is
> referenced because we want any accumulated condensation to boil off.
>
> Fair enough but I suspect its not that simple.  First, as we go up in
> altitude, the boiling point for water drops (I'm too lazy to look it up but
> it probably drops to around 190F at a few thousand feet.  So, during climb
> out, when the oil is the hottest (and condensation from setting on the ramp
> the greatest) you are heating the oil to its highest temp while lowering the
> boiling point of water with altitude.  All good stuff.
>
> Of course, if the condensate has dissolved minerals and other "junk" in it,
> that will raise the boiling point as well the positive pressure in the
> crankcase.
>
> What does all that mean?  I don't, know but probably not much.  At least,
> I've not heard of anyone draining water out of the crankcase every time they
> change oil (have they?).  If that is the case, it seems that 190+F with an
> occasional excursion above 200F seems to be adequate to flash off the
> moisture in the oil.
>
> Must go.  My head is hurting from all that thinking.
>
> Chuck Jensen
> Diversified Technologies
> 2680 Westcott Blvd
> Knoxville, TN  37931
> Phn:     865-539-9000 x25
> Cell:     865-406-9001
> Fax:     865-539-9001
> cjensen@dts9000.com