REFLECTOR:Hookin up the brakes

Andy Millin reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:31:56 -0400


Craig,

I was thinking that you might have had it measured.  I actually ordered
both the M10x1 and the 1/8x28 fittings.  I have tried them both, finger
tight, and there doesn't seem to be any difference.  I would have to
agree that the fittings I bought are both going to be more precise than
the casting was.  I'm just wishing this was a non-issue.  Thanks for the
help!

I want to thank everyone that helped me out on "hookin' up the brakes."
There has been a great deal of good information.  Thanks.

Best,

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Craig and/or Denise Woolston
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 2:18 AM
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Hookin up the brakes


Andy-

I didn't look anything up.  I had the guy a Motion measure it.  As crazy
as it sounds it was what I said below.  He said that Metric would work
also, but that the metric don't have the correct taper.  He said that
the Japanese hydraulic stuff copied the British stuff, but I can neither
confirm nor denied that with any written form.  But on the flip side,
both of us thought that the tooling and the casting for the master
cylinder were such crap that just about anything would have screwed in
there.  He had a tool set for measuring threads like I have never seen
before.  FWIW the fitting is installed and it felt good to me, but as we
are both in approximately the same phase of building it has not been
pressurize...

Craig


> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Andy Millin
> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 7:09 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Hookin up the brakes
>
>
> Craig,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  Could you help me out with your research.  What

> did you find where?  When I looked it up it was an M10x1 fitting.  
> Duane Swing also confirmed that it was metric.  He said that even 
> though it was metric, they continued to use the 1/8-28 fitting.  I 
> really appreciate the help.
>
> Andy
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Craig and/or Denise Woolston
> Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 4:50 PM
> To: reflector@tvbf.org; amillin@net-link.net
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:Hookin up the brakes
>
>
> Andy-
>
>   From my extensive research, the Master cyclinder thread is British 
> Standard Pipe Taper of 1/8"-28.  I was able to get this to 1/4 AN in 
> steel from Motion Industries (Bearing and Hydralic hose place).  They 
> got it from a supplier by the name of Brennan Industries.  I was even 
> able to get a 90 deg elbow fitting since I felt it made for a better 
> installation.  We go from that to a Matco parking brake valve and then

> on down the keel (XCFG
> also) all 3003 Al lines for us.
>
> Craig
> !----------------------------!
> ! Craig Woolston             !
> ! XL-FG in Palmdale, CA      !
> ! cdwoolston@earthlink.net   !
> !----------------------------!
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: reflector-admin@tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-admin@tvbf.org]On
> > Behalf Of Andy Millin
> > Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 7:54 AM
> > To: reflector@tvbf.org
> > Subject: REFLECTOR:Hookin up the brakes
> >
> >
> > Does anyone know the NAPA part number for specification for the 
> > master cylinder fitting for the brake line?  I believe it is NPT to 
> > AN.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit 
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html