REFLECTOR: Dual Throttles - Quadrants vs. push-pull controls

KeithHallsten reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:09:00 -0700


This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C373E9.8BF57780
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Fred,
Aha!  It sounds like it should be pretty easy, just a dual termination =
of the control cables at the fuel servo, and two completely redundant =
throttle cables and knobs.  Like a lot of things, it seems obvious once =
someone shows you the concept!  I had it stuck in my head that the =
interconnect between the controls should be at the panel end, since I'd =
seen a setup like that with quadrants.
Keith
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Fred Marconi=20
  To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
  Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 1:55 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR:Quadrants vs. push-pull controls


  Dear Keith:

  I have installed only a dual throttle control on my plane.  The cables =
are connected in the engine and each run back on the right and left.  I =
have run my cables and should be connecting them in the next few weeks.  =
Scott Bakes should help you with how to do it, if you call him.  I did =
not see the reason to run mixture and prop control.

  Fred.=20

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: KeithHallsten=20
    To: reflector@tvbf.org=20
    Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 12:25 AM
    Subject: REFLECTOR:Quadrants vs. push-pull controls


    I'm getting things lined up to install my IO-540, and I'm trying to =
decide whether to go with the standard push-pull controls or the =
"cooler" quadrant option. =20

    I recognize that the push-pull controls have the nice vernier fine =
adjustment and anti-creep.  On the other hand it's not clear how to rig =
up dual engine controls with the push-pull scheme.

    I recall Rob Johnson's post on his modified ACS homebuilder =
quadrant.  Do any of you have a source for practical quadrants that lend =
themselves to dual installation?

    Should I just forget the dual controls? =20

    Keith Hallsten 
------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C373E9.8BF57780
Content-Type: text/html;
	charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" name=3DGENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Fred,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Aha!&nbsp; It sounds like it should be =
pretty easy,=20
just a dual termination of the control cables at the fuel servo, and two =

completely redundant throttle cables and knobs.&nbsp; Like a lot of =
things, it=20
seems obvious once someone shows you the concept!&nbsp; I had it stuck =
in my=20
head that the interconnect between the controls should be at the panel =
end,=20
since I'd seen a setup like that with quadrants.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dfmarconi@bellsouth.net =
href=3D"mailto:fmarconi@bellsouth.net">Fred=20
  Marconi</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, September 05, =
2003 1:55=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: =
REFLECTOR:Quadrants vs.=20
  push-pull controls</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dear Keith:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have installed only a dual throttle control on =
my=20
  plane.&nbsp; The cables are connected in the engine and each run back =
on the=20
  right and left.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have run my cables and should be =
connecting them=20
  in the next few weeks.&nbsp;&nbsp;Scott Bakes should help you with how =
to do=20
  it, if you call him.&nbsp; I did not see the reason to run mixture and =
prop=20
  control.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Fred.</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
    <DIV=20
    style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: =
black"><B>From:</B>=20
    <A title=3DKeithHallsten@quiknet.com=20
    href=3D"mailto:KeithHallsten@quiknet.com">KeithHallsten</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A =
title=3Dreflector@tvbf.org=20
    href=3D"mailto:reflector@tvbf.org">reflector@tvbf.org</A> </DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, September 05, =
2003 12:25=20
    AM</DIV>
    <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> REFLECTOR:Quadrants =
vs.=20
    push-pull controls</DIV>
    <DIV><BR></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm getting things lined up to =
install my=20
    IO-540,&nbsp;and I'm trying to decide whether to go with the =
standard=20
    push-pull controls or the "cooler" quadrant option.&nbsp; =
</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I recognize that the push-pull =
controls have=20
    the nice vernier fine adjustment and anti-creep.&nbsp; On the other =
hand=20
    it's not clear how to rig up dual engine controls with the push-pull =

    scheme.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I recall Rob Johnson's post on his =
modified ACS=20
    homebuilder quadrant.&nbsp; Do&nbsp;any of you have a source for =
practical=20
    quadrants&nbsp;that lend themselves to dual =
installation?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Should I just forget the dual =
controls?&nbsp;=20
    </FONT></DIV>
    <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Keith=20
Hallsten</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C373E9.8BF57780--