REFLECTOR:IO-540 Air Induction

Jack Sheehan reflector@tvbf.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:32:45 -0500


Scott, The unit is sealed ok but since I am actually sort of using it 
backwards it seems like a problem but it isn't. The proper use would 
be for the filter to be located in the airflow coming into a cowl 
like on a Lancair the butterfly would be closed and there would be no 
leakage since all the air would come in through the filter. With the 
butterfly open the air would come from an alternate air from within 
the cowl area. Since I am using what would be the alternate air side 
as the ram air then when the butterfly which is in the ram air side 
is open the filter side is also still open since there is no 
butterfly in that side. So the ram air can actually leak back out 
through the filter. I spoke with performance about adding a butterfly 
in the other side so that when you opened one side the other side 
closed. They said they could do it but I never pursued it since they 
thought the loss of ram was negligible. The real issue is that since 
I have only one butterfly it needs to control the off and on of the 
ram air the filtered side is always open and since it is protected 
from the weather it is a little bit of a good thing from a safety 
prospective in that i can not inadvertently shut the air off. The 
filter comes with the unit from performance I will have to check on 
the size but it is a pretty standard K&N available at Advanced auto 
etc.
Jack