REFLECTOR:Elevator balancing
Pat Shea
reflector@tvbf.org
Sat, 31 May 2003 02:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Al,
I claim to be less than an expert. Given the info we
have to work with, I agree it sounds like balancing
the elevator with or without the strainer and the
ailerons either bottom surface level or in-trail will
probably get you safely up to VNE. Otherwise,
Velocities would be falling from the sky since it is
clear from this and other discussions many of those
flying are rigged both ways.
The issue, for me, then comes down to margins: which
will flutter first, 9lb. ailerons balanced bottom
surface level or 9 1/2lb. ailerons balanced in-trial??
I'm *guessing* the former and therefore balanced mine
in-trail. I'm also going to balance my elevators so
the trailing edge is slightly up from in-trial w/ the
strainer on (estimated single pilot elevator position
at VNE). Obviously the ultimate information would be
knowing which rigging yields the greatest over VNE
margin before fluttering. Any takers (I'm joking)?
Pat
--- Al Gietzen <alventures@email.msn.com> wrote:
> Not to exaggerate it's importance, nor claim that
> I'm an expert, but
> here's my take on whether to balance with or without
> our "aerodynamic
> trim tab" (how about aero t-tab). Flutter, in very
> simple terms, is an
> instability between aerodynamic forces and inertial
> forces. The idea of
> the counterweights is to make the elevator
> inertially neutral (as the
> canard is accelerated up or down) about the hinge
> line in neutral flight
> position. This would imply that it should be done
> with the aero t-tab
> in place.
>
> Perhaps, since the aerodynamic force on the aero
> t-tab is opposite the
> elevator, someone has been able to conclude the
> balancing should not
> include it. I'd guess it is of little importance
> one way or the other
> because of it's small weight; but in any case, I
> think we're all
> guessing.
>
> Al
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
http://calendar.yahoo.com