REFLECTOR:Elevator balancing

Al Gietzen reflector@tvbf.org
Fri, 30 May 2003 18:24:19 -0700


Not to exaggerate it's importance, nor  claim that I'm an expert, but
here's my take on whether to balance with or without our "aerodynamic
trim tab" (how about aero t-tab).  Flutter, in very simple terms, is an
instability between aerodynamic forces and inertial forces.  The idea of
the counterweights is to make the elevator inertially neutral (as the
canard is accelerated up or down) about the hinge line in neutral flight
position.  This would imply that it should be done with the aero t-tab
in place.

Perhaps, since the aerodynamic force on the aero t-tab is opposite the
elevator, someone has been able to conclude the balancing should not
include it.  I'd guess it is of little importance one way or the other
because of it's small weight; but in any case, I think we're all
guessing.

Al

>>>I'm not sure why they even call it a sparrow strainer...Just a nick
name I 
guess...We use it as an aerodynamic trim tab...Balance the elevator with
the 
trim tab on if your going to use it... Put the extra weight in the
center 
position...

Best... Steve<<<

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose