REFLECTOR: sparrow strainer (old post)

Pat Shea reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 19:36:51 -0700 (PDT)


Sorry, another old post I flagged for reference that's
raising questions in my head:

<<Brian...

The sparrow strainer inverted wing has 19 degrees of
incidence relative to the elevator...That is, if the
elevator is set to zero incidence  cord line, 
then the cord line of the sparrow strainer is set so
the leading edge is up 19 degrees compared to the
trailing edge...That pushes the back of the 
elevator up at higher speed...Relieves a lot of trim
spring pressure and gives the stick a much softer
feel...

Hope that helps...Your mileage may very...

Steve...

Standard Wing-RG-MT 3 blade cs prop...>>

Hmmm, I thought the sparrow strainer/inverted wing was
meant to act as a pitch dampener - not a trim tab. I
just mounted mine using the side templates supplied by
the factory (which set the sparrow's incidence) and it
has very little angle of attack relative to the
elevator. I can't see how this it is going to relieve
much spring pressure at any airspeed. Was the 19
degrees of relative incidence a mod?? 

Pat 



__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
http://search.yahoo.com