REFLECTOR: aileron balance (old post)
Pat Shea
reflector@tvbf.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 19:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
----- Original Message -----
From: NMFlyer1@aol.com
To: reflector@tvbf.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2003
<<I didn't get a satisfactory response so I called the
factory. Scott told me that they have discovered that
you may balance the ailerons so that the bottom
surface is level After Painting. It is acceptable
that the aileron be between bottom surface level and
cord line level once it is painted..>>
FWIW-
I'm balancing my control surfaces now and had flagged
this post from a few months ago for reference. My '98
manual calls for the ailerons to balance cord line
level. Painted, mine balance closer to bottom surface
level than cord line level. Wanting to be sure on such
a critical issue, I called Scott Baker. He was clear
that the ailerons should balance in-trail when the
plane is leveled (which essentially means cord line
level). He said the trailing edge could balance
slightly up, just not down... It takes about 8 oz. to
get my aileron from bottom surface level to cord line
level. Also, I couldn't find any aileron balancing
instructions in the new on-line manual - could be that
it's now in another chapter.
FYI,
In terms of elevator balancing, I believe the factory
is just adding another 1/2 counterweight to each of
the two inboard counterweights and calling it good.
Sounds like it's probably overkill, but safe...
Pat
__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
http://search.yahoo.com