REFLECTOR:MT Props

Ronnie Brown reflector@tvbf.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:43:18 -0400


Chuck,

I suggest you talk with Craig Catto.  I think he can make a prop for your
300.  I have been very pleased with my prop (200 HP).  I had to have mine
repitched to a lower pitch due to the short runway I am flying out of, but
it gets off very nicely, less than 1500 feet on a hot day with a medium
load.  Your 300 HP ought do as well even with a cruise versus my climb prop.
I lost about 10-15 knots in cruise (155 knots at 2700 rpm).  I was getting
over 170 knots with the cruise prop but I was only turning abou5t 2500 rpm
wide open.

I got mine for $1650 and $650 for the prop extension.  The set up is
different for the M/T.  Oh and you'll have to come up with a way to plug the
hydraulics when you are running the straight prop.

Ronnie


----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Jensen" <cjensen@dts9000.com>
To: <reflector@tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 2:45 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR:MT Props


> Steve Korney wrote:
>
> Your Velocity is faster with the Performance Prop anyway...
> I've never had any trouble with my hydraulic MT...
>
> Steve,
>
> I indicated in an earlier email that I had a leading edge crack and was
> concerned about the time I would be down for prop repair.  However, your
> mention that Performance Prop works fine for you, I was curious which
model
> are you using and what is the general cost?
>
> I want a replacement for the MT prop for a XL RG 300.  The deeper I get
into
> this MT thing, the less enamored I am of the company.  I spoke with Jurgen
> in Deland, FL at the MT Prop Shop.  He's having me ship the whole thing to
> him and is going to replace the seals (which have never leaked on my
> prop)and tell me what needs to be done on the blades.
>
> After talking to a few prop shops and individuals, it seems there is a
> language problem with the German MT company; they have some difficulty
> understanding what "customer service" means in English.
>
> With some of the "mini-horror" stories I'm hearing about downtime with the
> MT, I'm seriously interested in looking at a second prop as a standby (or
> maybe first-teamer).  Can anyone suggest a knowledgeable, reliable and
> reasonable priced distributor for the Performance Prop or does someone
have
> a better suggestion.
>
> Chuck
> Hangar Queen N27GV
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose